favorite califone molment?

Califone-related rantings and ravings. Get your groove on and talk to us, baby!

favorite califone molment?

Unread postby Broken Field » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:48 pm

I thought since there isn't much going on in the califone universe right now that we could all share our favorite molments of either meeting members of califone or seeing them live or anything really. My favorite molment was the first time I was able to see them live. I had been into Red Red Meat since they released Bunny Gets Paid which i ordered after hearing "chain, chain, chain" on a sample cd from Sub Pop Records. It soon became my favorite record and after nearly a decade, and a lot of musical growth, still is. Though at the time I was in like 6th or 7th grade....When I finally was able to see them, since i wasn't old enough to get into bars, it was at the Metro in chicago near wrigley field when i was 18. They were opening for Modest Mouse I think and played after devil in a Woodpile? Anyway i got right up front for califone and really enjoyed it to an extreme i have barely reached since...people were accually asking me if i was OK as i recall. When Modest mouse came out i wasn't into it at all and was feeling kind of woozy from the beers i drank on the way to the show (walking down seedy allyways trying to be inconspicuous) and the smoke and heat of the front row was getting to me so i decided to go to the bathroom and get some fresh air. On the way I met Ben right outside the bathroom and he was the nicest and down to earth guy, but i really idolized these guys so it was like meeting, i don't know, jimi hendrix or something i mean these guys music spoke so much to me, it was like a soundtrack to my life, esp. the last two red red meat and first two califone records. Anyway after my "ive been into you guys since 6th grade and i have been dying to see you live forever" shit he introduced me to tim who upon hearing id listened to them since such a young age looked at me and said "im sorry.....we didn't mean to skrew up any young kids" .......hilarious.thanks friends.~BF :D
enhanced musical stimulation
Broken Field
The Cutter

Unread postby overbite » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:11 am

wow! great story. I wish I had a story to tell but I don't because califone never comes to southern california. But I first bought roomsound about 4 years ago and i was blown away, when I was 18. My life has been a blur ever since.
i have a toe nail on the end of my penis
overbite
Wingbone

Unread postby ho » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:12 pm

Hey, ya know, Tim is playing in San Diego tonight and LA tomorrow night... No more of this "califone doesn't come to southern california" stuff.
Do you have a copy of the live Califone from LA floating around? It's from about three years ago I think.

My favorite Califone moment?
Making album covers with Tim for Knub U Knive in the Van de Califone. Probably that and seeing Califone for the first time at Satyricon in PDX.
ho
On the Steeple with the Shakes

Unread postby overbite » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:04 pm

califone isnt playing tonight..it just tim with iron+wine and calexico. right?
i have a toe nail on the end of my penis
overbite
Wingbone

Unread postby foobario » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:37 am

My favorite Califone moment is... the next one.

2nd favorite was getting turned on to Red Red Meat via a 3AM midterm cram college station playing the cover to 'Wishing', which it then took a few years for me to find. In the intervening time I got turned on to everything else they did, including the shift to Califone, and never looked back.

3rd favorite: Califone busting out 'For the turnstiles' at the Red & Black in Portland. I looked around and I wasn't the only one with tears in their eyes.
foobario
Sawtooth

Unread postby dequalsrxt » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:04 pm

probably the first time i saw them...at all tomorrow's parties, ucla, 2002. didn't know who they were at the time. walked into royce hall...it was half-empty, very hushed...they were improvising to a film at the time, i think. then they played "electric fence". you know the rest.
-eD-
dequalsrxt
Wingbone

favorite califone moment

Unread postby poorbastard » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:11 pm

i'm a longtime fan, but i didn't get to catch them until friday nov. 17 in birmingham. we don't live anywhere near birmingham. it was a hellish four hour drive, with a long traffic jam. also, we got lost looking for the venue. we found it with about a half an hour to spare. i went straight to the merch table, and while i was buying, i saw tim. i started gushing like a little girl about the band, got him to sign a poster, and had my picture made with him.(joe took the picture. i did not recognize joe. sorry, joe, would have gushed to you too had i known. incidentally this picture came out the best) then the show. it was the best i've ever seen, topping even radiohead. they played pastry sharp, my fav, first, and during the encore, i requested silvermine pictures gor my wife, and tim obliged. thanks, tim & co. for making one hellish trip infinitely more than worth it.
poorbastard
Sawtooth

Unread postby owl » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:42 pm

dequalsrxt wrote:probably the first time i saw them...at all tomorrow's parties, ucla, 2002. didn't know who they were at the time. walked into royce hall...it was half-empty, very hushed...they were improvising to a film at the time, i think. then they played "electric fence". you know the rest.

I had the exact same experience, except in Lancaster, PA opening for Modest Mouse sometime in 2000. Didn't know who they were, Electric Fence did it for me. Went right to the merch table and bought the Loftus CD (I asked Mr. Loftus if it was the latest Califone CD and he said 'yes' :lol: ). Hooked ever since.
Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage. — Edward Abbey

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Re: favorite califone moment

Unread postby owl » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:45 pm

thirduncle wrote:i'm a longtime fan, but i didn't get to catch them until friday nov. 17 in birmingham. we don't live anywhere near birmingham. it was a hellish four hour drive, with a long traffic jam. also, we got lost looking for the venue. we found it with about a half an hour to spare. i went straight to the merch table, and while i was buying, i saw tim. i started gushing like a little girl about the band, got him to sign a poster, and had my picture made with him.(joe took the picture. i did not recognize joe. sorry, joe, would have gushed to you too had i known. incidentally this picture came out the best) then the show. it was the best i've ever seen, topping even radiohead. they played pastry sharp, my fav, first, and during the encore, i requested silvermine pictures gor my wife, and tim obliged. thanks, tim & co. for making one hellish trip infinitely more than worth it.

That's really swell. Nice story!
Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage. — Edward Abbey

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Return to Sparrows beneath your eyelids