recording geek oriented thread on califone / deck / 4deuces

Califone-related rantings and ravings. Get your groove on and talk to us, baby!

recording geek oriented thread on califone / deck / 4deuces

Unread postby BandyLou » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:03 pm

there's a great discussion thread going on over at the tape op message boards regarding califone, from a recording studio standpoint:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?p=369718#369718
BandyLou
The Cutter

Unread postby owl » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:20 pm

Wow, that is really, really interesting.
Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage. — Edward Abbey

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Unread postby clavastudio » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:22 pm

Nobody seems to ask those kinds of questions around here, so I don't offer that sort of stuff up. It's pretty much inside baseball for us engineer types.

I'm looking forward to the guys coming back from Europe, and hope they're not too tired to do a little more work before Tim has to go back home. We did some very fun things right before they left. I start a day job again at the end of February and my time for recording will be limited. There are few things more fun to me than recording the Califone musics...
"how was that take?"

"it sucked...c'mon in..."
clavastudio
Wingbone

Unread postby Funnel cloud » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:33 am

That is a great thread - thanks for posting!

Very interesting to hear about the difficulty of recording Tim's voice. That's often the first thing that people comment on when I play Califone for them for the first time -- how unique and warm his voice sounds. So your technique and/or equipment must be working! I assume you mean compared to how it sounds live -- which is stunning at points.
Funnel cloud
Sawtooth

Unread postby clavastudio » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:22 pm

The difficulty in recording Tim's voice (at least from my perspective) is mostly an engineering one. He has specific desires in the sound of a vocal track(s) for his music. The engineer's job is to make those desires manifest on the recording. What you hear in the recordings is Tim's vision...getting there sometimes means taking a different route than one might on other vocalists. That's part of the magic of recording the band for me. The way the guys approach recording makes me try new methods to realize the vision...
"how was that take?"

"it sucked...c'mon in..."
clavastudio
Wingbone

Return to Sparrows beneath your eyelids