New Record in 2009

Califone-related rantings and ravings. Get your groove on and talk to us, baby!

Re: New Record in 2009

Unread postby zoosleuth » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:20 pm

Wow, I've listened to the album 3 times now and I think I can now safely say it's my favorite Califone album. The songs are all-time, the production is fantastic, and everything fits together perfectly. The album from start to end feels like a journey. I can't wait to see how it fits in with the film.

I know what you mean on the Mean Little Seed reference. Some rhythm and guitar ideas are quite similar. The melodies are different though, especially in the chorus. I'm curious if it's intentional. Another thing I really like about this album is that I feel like there are some glimpses over the shoulder to past work and there's a lot of forging ahead in new directions. Fantastic, fantastic record. I think this is the group's signature album for sure.
zoosleuth
Wingbone

Unread postby acutedeath » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:50 pm

I am excited about the film in general... but sadly, I don't think I can make it to any of the showings. The tour is dodging my state again.
acutedeath
The Cutter

Unread postby hanwaker » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:01 pm

the lucky guy i am i received a pre copy as early as august 19th.. but as i left for a 3 week holiday in southfrance i could not get my ideas down to this forum earlier...
over the course of this 3 week stint i listen to the album many times and using headphones ( what i usuall don't do) i discovered layer upon layer on this new cd..
i am hoping for some folks to write some info on how the gigs incl the movie went down

this forum could see some action --
we are not used to people likeing what we do
(t. r. 3-21-04)
hanwaker
On the Steeple with the Shakes

Unread postby braindead » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:35 pm

I'm going to both shows in Chicago in October and I will definitely pass along some info on how it goes.
braindead
Heron King

Unread postby mike » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:15 pm

hanwaker wrote:i listen to the album many times and using headphones ( what i usuall don't do)

All Califone records have revealed a new depth not previously heard by my ears/brain when I give them a fresh listen in headphones. I highly recommend it both before and after fully digesting an album.
mike
On the Steeple with the Shakes

Unread postby braindead » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:20 am

Listening right now, on headphones, to "Evidence"....Most excellent.just kicked into Alice Marble Gray...most excellent as well.
braindead
Heron King

Unread postby franklin » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:04 pm

cheers to not reading the forum before using the link off of the official site! not only do i only get one poster instead of two, but i didn't get the bonus track, and i payed five bucks extra!!!

but that aside, the record is fucking good, and i can't wait to hear it on wax.

please come to berlin!
franklin
Sawtooth

Unread postby owl » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:11 pm

gs wrote:This is great. On my third listen and I'm hearing new sounds each time. Can't wait for the arrival of the double LP--all Califone albums sound so good on record.

Love the nylon strings on "Alice Marble Gray." Who's singing lead on "Krill?" Is that Becker?

Thanks for the early download!

Definitely Becker. He has a great voice, no? I've heard lots of people say that Krill is a highlight.
Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage. — Edward Abbey

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Unread postby gs » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:28 pm

His voice in front of all the collapsing harmony vocals really makes for a unique highlight (in an album full of them). Some of the fuzzy production on this tune reminds me of Sin Ropas' last one.
gs
Wingbone

Previous

Return to Sparrows beneath your eyelids