New Record in 2009

Califone-related rantings and ravings. Get your groove on and talk to us, baby!

New Record in 2009

Unread postby kegsrus » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:34 pm

So are we going to talk about the new record or what? Am I the only boarder that visits the homepage?

Keg
kegsrus
Sawtooth

Re: New Record in 2009

Unread postby owl » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:53 am

Not much is known about it. I'm definitely looking forward to the details, though.
Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage. — Edward Abbey

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Unread postby braindead » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:46 pm

If the song they did last week at the Empty Bottle, "Funeral Singers" is on the new album, it should be great. I think the best way to describe it is "Red Red Meat meets Califone in a dark alley."
braindead
Heron King

Unread postby acutedeath » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:42 pm

The song "Bunuel" (or something) sounds interesting to me. (From the Diane Izzo benefit show.)
It evoked the image of an old man working through the night handloading ammunition by candlelight. Sounds risky. :)
But yeah, I am also really excited about getting the new album! I just didn't have a good excuse to post yet, other than sheer joy.
acutedeath
The Cutter

Unread postby clavastudio » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:19 pm

Tracking is basically finished. The guys are mixing right now. I don't know what the finished date is supposed to be. Most of the tracking happened last summer, last November, and during the 1st 3 weeks of Feb. 2009. There is some older stuff in there though. There is at least one song built from a series of "live off the floor" reocrdings I did with the guys in...2004? I think that's when it was. So no surprise there, really. Mr. Rutili revisits old ideas (that none of you have ever heard) and fleshes them out with an updated mindset.

I do know that a related effort to this next record begins in late April. Again, I don't know about the scheduled completion and can't talk more about it than that. Should be cool though.

But yeah. New record is definitely coming. What I've heard is worth listening to...
"how was that take?"

"it sucked...c'mon in..."
clavastudio
Wingbone

Unread postby kegsrus » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:58 pm

Well for what it's worth, I wanted to pile a humble pile of gratitude at the feet of all involved. Cfone records seem to sneak out of the woods every few years, just when I've given up hope that I'd ever see another in the wild. I'm generally good at keeping track of such things, but "heron", "roots" and now the latest have all snuck up on me... perhaps I'm just getting old.

In any case, a lovely surprise in an otherwise unlovely time. thanks indeed for the dedication.

your humble servant,
Keg
kegsrus
Sawtooth

Unread postby tarheel » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:24 pm

Does anyone know if they're working with Brian Deck on the new recordings?
tarheel
Cheater

Unread postby clavastudio » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:07 pm

tracking for the new record was partly by Graeme Gibson and partly Brian Deck. There's also that blub I posted above about one tune that started with something I tracked a number of years ago.

Brian is doing the mix.
"how was that take?"

clavastudio
Wingbone

Unread postby onetononion » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:40 pm

This is fabulous news (concerning the new album)! I was pleased to see Red Red Meat's "Bunny Gets Paid" reissue receive a best music mention at Pitchfork's site & it caused me to wonder what was happening on the Califone front. Glad I checked into it. I'll be anxiously awaiting this release.

On another front, is there any news concerning the film that was in the works? It's been ages since I last heard about that project. Has it been shelved? Any update would be warmly welcomed.
"You're out of your element, Donnie"
onetononion
Sawtooth

Unread postby clavastudio » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:05 pm

Just an update here. As far as I can tell, the record is now complete. I got my scratch "premaster" copy from Tim when he paid the studio bill. It's good, but I think most of you figured that. It's familiar and different sounding all at the same time. I've only listenend all the way through once, and this work is going to take more than one listen to fully appreciate.
"how was that take?"

clavastudio
Wingbone

Unread postby braindead » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:48 pm

That's great news, can't wait to hear the result. You guys did one song at the shows in Chicago that sounded like it could be on the new album. Is that true?

Also, did anyone, as far as you know, record either Chicago show or Austin?

Thanks for the update.
braindead
Heron King

Unread postby kegsrus » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:59 am

any idea on turn-around time? what's the label situation? are you assembling the $120 deluxe edition?

obviously eager,
KK
kegsrus
Sawtooth

Unread postby clavastudio » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:18 pm

kegsrus wrote:any idea on turn-around time? what's the label situation?

No clue on the release date. The label situation is set in stone, but it's a "new" label that is sort of a joint venture between 2 already established outfits. I've heard the name, but don't remember it. I can only name one of the established labels of the top of my head, so I'll keep mum on who the parties are.

braindead wrote:You guys did one song at the shows in Chicago that sounded like it could be on the new album. Is that true?

I wasn't at the recent Empty Bottle shows, but I understand they played "Funeral Singers". That IS on the new record, and is pretty much the title track, at least if Tim was prone to naming records after particular songs. Which he usually isn't.

I'm gonna see Tim in the next week or so. He's going to be BUSY, but if there's time I might hit him for some of these details.
"how was that take?"

clavastudio
Wingbone

Unread postby braindead » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:09 pm

Thanks for the info.
braindead
Heron King

Unread postby andu » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:27 am

Thanks for all of the info! I can't wait to hear it!
andu
Cheater

Unread postby mike » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:18 pm

mike
On the Steeple with the Shakes

Unread postby gs » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:14 pm

In case some of you visit only the forums, check the Pastry Sharp homepage. It has a link to the new official Califone site with a full-length album write-up.
gs
Wingbone

Unread postby coxy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:05 pm

Hey 'Fone fiends,

From SC distribution site... "Pre-order Califone's All My Friends Are Funeral Singers and receive loads of extras. Customers who pre-order Califone's All My Friends Are Funeral Singers will receive two 11 x 17 posters along with their order. Additionally, they will receive a download code which can be used starting on September 8th to download the album a month before its official release, and before it hits your mailbox. Included in this download will be the epic track "Lunar H," which is the 15 minute song that is exclusive to the double LP gatefold edition, and not available on the CD or digital release."

http://www.scdistribution.com/cat/scd_catalog.php?usersearch=califone&order=&submit=Go

Two posters, extra song, mine's on order- what are you waiting for :D
coxy
Sawtooth

Unread postby mike » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:14 am

You can get a taste of the album with this little teaser track here

Here's to hoping that many more tour dates are announced and that one of those dates is in my home town... wink, wink, nudge, nudge
mike
On the Steeple with the Shakes

Unread postby acutedeath » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:19 am

I'm listening to the new album now. I'm grateful for the early download offer with the pre-order. As usual, words fail to describe...
acutedeath
The Cutter

Unread postby aricher » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:21 pm

Downloading now. Heading out on an 18 hour road trip today, can't wait to delve into "Singers."
Wherever you go... there you are.
aricher
Sawtooth

Unread postby tarheel » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:28 pm

I'm on my second listen and liking it more & more...nice work, guys.
tarheel
Cheater

Unread postby braindead » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:26 pm

:D Great listening for a sleepy Tuesday morning that feels like Monday. After the first go 'round, Polish Girls, Funeral Singers, Bunuel, Ape-like, Krill and Lunar H stood out, but all sounds good...about to head into the second round.

Looking forward to my album showing up and to the Sunday show in Chicago.

You guys are getting better every time...
braindead
Heron King

Unread postby gs » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:32 pm

This is great. On my third listen and I'm hearing new sounds each time. Can't wait for the arrival of the double LP--all Califone albums sound so good on record.

Love the nylon strings on "Alice Marble Gray." Who's singing lead on "Krill?" Is that Becker?

Thanks for the early download!
gs
Wingbone

Unread postby mredpopo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:35 pm

Once again, the perfect fall band delivers the perfect fall album.

So how about all those electronics that take over Better Angels in the last minute? Fantastic. Also am I the only one who thinks that song sounds just like Mean Little Seed?
slow crows over
mredpopo
Wingbone

Next

Return to Sparrows beneath your eyelids