All My Friends Are Funeral Singers

Califone-related rantings and ravings. Get your groove on and talk to us, baby!

All My Friends Are Funeral Singers

Unread postby braindead » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:14 am

Thought I would start a new thread. Many thoughts, more to come...I've been listening for an hour or two each day since Tuesday.

Words can't really express...I've been much more of a RRM fan, but I'm seeing the Calfone light...

Let me just say I applaud those that made contributions to this music and everything previous.

We can't all do this, thank God for those of you that can...good work.
braindead
Heron King

Re: All My Friends Are Funeral Singers

Unread postby aricher » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:14 am

I've been living with this album since 9/8 and keep pulling more and more out of it. It's fantastic. Thank you so much Califone for making the perfect album to slip into fall with. My pre-order vinyl showed up in the mail today, it sounds so much better on the hi-fi than the 192 encoded pre-release MP3s. I can't even put into words how much I like this album so I'll just stop while I'm ahead.
Wherever you go... there you are.
aricher
Sawtooth

Unread postby BandyLou » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:19 pm

This album is astoundingly beautiful. The pitchfork review was good, but misses something. The songs sound like Califone songs, true. Familiar elements. But dig... many of the songs on this album unfold and expand in new ways. Witness 'Better Angels,' which starts out as a familiar Califone stomper, acoustic guitar strumming, banjo, chorus vocals... but by the end, we've got layers of high vocals, beatboxes, claps, trembling mellotrons, long melody lines stretched out over measures...
Enough dancing about architecture. I got my beautifully packaged vinyl yesterday (the cover even SMELLS good) and haven't even played it yet!
BandyLou
The Cutter

Unread postby mike » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:34 am

BandyLou wrote: I got my beautifully packaged vinyl yesterday (the cover even SMELLS good) and haven't even played it yet!

What are you waiting for?
mike
On the Steeple with the Shakes

Unread postby zoosleuth » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:48 pm

I definitely thought the pitchfork review missed the point and seemed cursory to me. I feel like this album is these guys at the top of their game saying, "Yup this is where we've been but now check out how many places we have yet to go." Great point about "Better Angels", which I think is a terrific example of this idea. While it has some familiar sounds, I hear a lot of new things on this record. The groove of Ape Like could have been on "Star Above the Manger" or "Roomsound" but the vocal harmonies at the end, and the call and response melodies with the guitars and what I believe is an Optigan, are from a much more melodic place. "Evidence" "Krill" "Lunar H" are totally new territory in my opinion. This record covers a lot of sonic ground.

I've had a hard time putting it down. At times I've felt like when I'm listening to something else that it was a forced decision. That's another thing about Califone records that I love though. I never get sick of them. I usually discover some new little sound that I never noticed before, or the lyrics strike me in a different way based on the weather or my surroundings.
zoosleuth
Wingbone

Unread postby owl » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:50 am

zoosleuth wrote:I definitely thought the pitchfork review missed the point and seemed cursory to me. I feel like this album is these guys at the top of their game saying, "Yup this is where we've been but now check out how many places we have yet to go." Great point about "Better Angels", which I think is a terrific example of this idea. While it has some familiar sounds, I hear a lot of new things on this record. The groove of Ape Like could have been on "Star Above the Manger" or "Roomsound" but the vocal harmonies at the end, and the call and response melodies with the guitars and what I believe is an Optigan, are from a much more melodic place. "Evidence" "Krill" "Lunar H" are totally new territory in my opinion. This record covers a lot of sonic ground.

I've had a hard time putting it down. At times I've felt like when I'm listening to something else that it was a forced decision. That's another thing about Califone records that I love though. I never get sick of them. I usually discover some new little sound that I never noticed before, or the lyrics strike me in a different way based on the weather or my surroundings.

Well said.
Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage. — Edward Abbey

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Unread postby Basil II » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:21 pm

This is easily the most expansive and beautifully cutting records made by these guys.......WOW.

-Robert
Basil II
Wingbone

Return to Sparrows beneath your eyelids