Grifters music

Playful musings, 3rd rate psychiatric evaluations, and more (or less).

Grifters music

Unread postby mike » Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:36 am

In cleaning out some of my desk drawers at work today, I discovered a Grifters show from 2000 on CD. Just thought I'd check and see if anyone around these stomping grounds needed a little live Grifters for their ears.
Here's the lowdown:
Dec. 2, 2000 @ The Bottleneck in Lawrence, KS
X-Ray
Bronze Cast
Day Shift
Corolla Hoist
Black Fuel
Shark
Jet
Spaceship
Covered with Flies
Banjo
2 Week
Soda Pop
Meanwhile

Drop me a PM if your interested in a trade or B&P.
mike
On the Steeple with the Shakes

Unread postby miche » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:19 pm

i have this show on cd as well ... for fun facts this show was with califone as were the show before and after ... they did 3 shows together ... st louis, lawrence and champaign.

all this to say if you dig the Grifters you should dig this recording.
miche
The Cutter

Unread postby mike » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:04 pm

your face graces the cover that was made for it.
mike

Unread postby tom kha gai » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:06 pm

That's not French!
tom kha gai

Unread postby pshp » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:32 am

so...like... i have this "friend" who told me once that she never had any exposure to the grifters, and had always wondered what their music sounded like. regrettably, i told her i that could not help her, as i was very busy doing nothing on that particular day.

now she's pissed and won't speak to me, but i know she checks these posts. so the question is: which album would be the best starting point for my "friend" to begin seeking the pleasures of grifters music?

i am in NO way implying that the "friend" is me, or that although i've known OF them for years, i just never heard the music. natch :wink:
pshp
Admin

Unread postby mike » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:41 pm

I think the best starting point is "Crappin' You Negative", but my favorite record is the Eureka EP.
mike

can i touch your wedding dress?

Unread postby tom kha gai » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:59 pm

think of laura
but don't cry...

the starting point i would recommend would be to time travel back to the early '90s, turn on the local college radio station, and hear a song in the middle of a long set that starts out with a little girl singing "sugar in the morning..." and then a band takes over and slowly revs from 0-60 in a matter of measures and when the chorus hits they're hollering "spit out the jams!" and then all of a sudden the singer decides he wants to go fishing and the track goes spiraling into chaos. you need to know what this song is called, and who this band is, and so you listen to the end of the set hoping the DJ will back announce. he does, and if you hear correctly it is a song called "The Queen of the Table Waters" by The Grifters. you proceed directly to the record store and purchase the 7" record and play it again and again, amazed that it doesn't destroy your needle. you then head back to the record store and buy whatever else they have. you'll need to adjust your ears to hear the force and the majesty of the music through the four-track limitations, but you'll be amazed by the flashes of brilliance on So Happy Together, and get the sense from One Sock Missing that this band must be an amazing live unit. Crappin' You Negative will crack open your skull and make you realize the universe is truly contained in the folds of your brain. you'll start obsessively searching for their various 7" records on assorted labels. you'll make mix tapes, and try to turn on your friends and complete strangers, and they will mostly look at you as if you're deranged. the Eureka e.p. will astound you, compressing more melodic & rhythmic & lyrical ideas into one e.p. than you ever thought possible. you'll go see them play, and realize the recorded versions are only templates from which the band builds upon. you'll be so excited to hear Ain't My Lookout when it gets released that you'll listen to it several times before even unfolding the insert to see the photo collage of the boys inside easley recording as they recorded the songs. you'll listen to it through headphones, and swear you feel high when you're sober. you'll feel a little let down by Full Blown Possession, perhaps, but you'll realize the true test of the songs will be in their live incarnations. you'll see them again and again, and eventually see them play with a large hairy canadian dancing beside the stage with a stage light held high above his head. you will come to love this large hairy canadian. you will look forward to what comes next for the grifters, and then when nothing much happens you'll find yourself whiling away your time on the web with other believers who await the resurrection of the grifters.

of course you'll need a time machine for all of this, and i think mine is broken. they sell time machines on the roadsides of florida, don't they?
tom kha gai

Re: can i touch your wedding dress?

Unread postby pshp » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:40 pm

oh so very cool of you to share! thanks for that one, tom. :D

i'm sorry those days passed me by without a taste of grifters love. i haven't noticed any roadside stands that might propel me backward in time to fix this. only folks selling boiled peanuts and fireworks.

i surely do know that feeling of instantaneous, passionate love and devotion, as i have my own story with another band. my tale even includes a part about large hairy canadian. coincidence?

looking forward to having my ass pleasantly kicked by these guys. thanks again for the incentive.
pshp
Admin

Unread postby pshp » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:28 am

"can i touch your wedding dress?" ok. what went over my head THIS time?

the answer is no. all my dresses went to the salvation army. i'll probably get another one though. i'll give you a jingle when i go to pick it up.
pshp
Admin

blasts of static

Unread postby tom kha gai » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:40 pm

nothing went over your head but the sky, pshp.

i forgot to return to that excerpted lyric in my message body. it's a line from the phenomenal grifters song "She Blows Blasts of Static," which lives on the other side of the "Soda Pop" 7" and on the One Sock Missing record. it lives in my mind as an example of how grifters music lures you into its universe. you hear that line, and if you're like me you have to know what comes next. it's the tug of the mysterious that's at work in all of my favorite art. mr. rutili and his colleagues are also masters of this force, but you already know that. it's not surprising that a mutual admiration society was formed between the grifters and the red red meat contingency all those years ago.

and it's not surprising that a large hairy canadian is in the middle of all this. i wonder what he'll say aboot this discussion?
tom kha gai

Unread postby miche » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:40 pm

um, can i touch all y'alls wedding dresses?
miche
The Cutter

Unread postby pshp » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:08 pm

this discussion has led my head into a joan jett and the blackhearts song. jane, get me off this crazy thing.
pshp
Admin

Unread postby miche » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:19 pm

jane's an ignorant slvt.
miche
The Cutter

Unread postby pshp » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:15 pm

even still, she holds a place in my heart as the national spokesperson for housewives on speed.
pshp
Admin

Unread postby miche » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:00 pm

Re: housewives on speed

and who doesn't enjoy a fast housewife

ba-doom-tish

(looks back at drummer and then taps microphone)

is this thing on?
miche
The Cutter

Unread postby mike » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:39 pm

In listening to this show again last night I noticed Scott talking about the people on the internet during some stage banter. So for all of you who haven't heard the show but are reading this, Scott says "Hi".
mike

Unread postby pshp » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:17 pm

what was Scott saying about us, anyway? sometimes i feel like i just don't KNOW Scott anymore. we used to be so close, back in the day. you ARE talking about Scott Bakula, right?

are all your punch lines in red, miche?
pshp
Admin

Unread postby miche » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:43 pm

yeah for the most part. i think it makes my material punchier and that's really the trick to "funny". i believe this applies to both American and Canadian funny. I believe the Brits use Indigo but theirs is a dryer type of humor. Yellow is for observations and queries natch.
miche
The Cutter

Unread postby miche » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:45 pm

as this topic is about the Grifters i must implore those of you not in the know to definately search out "Queen of Table Waters" as stated by the one that caws. it's really is a priceless piece of the puzzle.
miche
The Cutter

Unread postby miche » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:53 pm

It should be noted that autumn is upon us shortly so why not make full use of the weather and modern electronics:

find some countryside
put the Eureka EP on your electronic listening device
select the repeat setting and push play
place one foot in front of the other in a repetitive fashion to create a forward movement
enjoy as much as the day is long
miche
The Cutter

Unread postby pshp » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:15 pm

i'm not getting that cool and fuzzy fall feeling. i just got back from the beach, where it was 147 degrees out and believe you me...not a ONE of those people were getting ready for autumn. however, they WERE getting ready for yet another hurricane. what a trip.
pshp
Admin

cold cold lamkins

Unread postby tom kha gai » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:05 am

um, don't you mean "tripp," pshp?

just imagine you're back in buffalo and do what miche says. at some point. before you die. in a hurricane.
tom kha gai

Unread postby mike » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:31 am

miche wrote:as this topic is about the Grifters i must implore those of you not in the know to definately search out "Queen of Table Waters" as stated by the one that caws. it's really is a priceless piece of the puzzle.

The queen of the table waters does my dishes.
For those that want to heed his advise, and you all should, feel free to click the www link below and I'll help ya fill those holes in yer grifter needs. There have been no takers for the live show, the offer still stand for any that want it.
mike

Re: cold cold lamkins

Unread postby pshp » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:17 pm

tom kha gai wrote:um, don't you mean "tripp," pshp?

i never spent enough time in that parallel universe to mean "tripp", although i've lurked on occasion (to soak in some funny) and he seems like a smashing fellow.

just imagine you're back in buffalo

why the hell would i want to do THAT??? you don't know me AT ALL !!!!

i'll do what miche says, but i'll do it in the sweaty heat. i'm firm on this, dammit!

mike, i did the link, but didn't quite get how to fill the grifters hole. i am a surfing loser. help me?
pshp
Admin

Unread postby mike » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:02 am

pshp wrote: i did the link, but didn't quite get how to fill the grifters hole. i am a surfing loser. help me?[/color]

In some circles they prefer the term technologically challenged, but don't fret pshp it'll all be OK. Shangri-La put out a large portion of the Grifter catalog. If you didn't get it maybe the web site needs a good overhaulin'.

Shouldn't you be raiding Walmart for canned foods and bottled water instead of web surfing? Watch out that Francis, looks like a doozy.
mike

Next

Return to Weightless repetition