Jazz Appreciation

Playful musings, 3rd rate psychiatric evaluations, and more (or less).

Jazz Appreciation

Unread postby tideeyed » Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:06 pm

O.K. folks I'm takin a Jazz Appreciation class. I'm learning to appreciate Jazz. Never thought I would but sure enough it's starting to sink in. I dont know what to buy. What do all you folks recommend? So far I've got Miles Davis Some Kinda Blue and its kinda O.K. I'm really diggin Duke Ellington. Anyway what would a Caliphony person like me dig? Any suggestions will be most appreciated.
tideeyed
Wingbone

Unread postby pshp » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:36 pm

can i take that class with you? i'm jazz challenged as well. because of this, i tend to go for the best of/greatest hits types of collections. this is probably VERY uncool, but oh well. sometimes jazz has more math than my brain would care to enjoy. since i can count to 4 quite easily, i listen to music where i can do this until my heart's content.

i'm certain that there are far better qualified califoneans who will help you out on this.
pshp
Admin

Unread postby señor vaca » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:23 am

i like miles davis' round about midnight. i use to listen to it when driving. i'm getting more relaxed and stopped showing middlefingers to all the buttholes trying to use the crosswalk when i am coming.
woody allen movie music might be some "cool" best of.
yesterday i was recording the sound of the flying clouds, just as usual.
but what i then got to hear was harming me.
today i don't record the cloud's sounds.
señor vaca
Heron King

Unread postby ho » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:33 pm

Not much of a Jazz person here, however I really dig: Dave Brubeck, Him (that chicago Doug Scharin band) and Herbie Hancock. Some of that is not 'pure' jazz I think, more borderline....
ho
On the Steeple with the Shakes

herbie

Unread postby tideeyed » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:03 pm

Didn't Herbie Hancock dement me in the 80's with Electric Avenue or is it just my early stages of Alzeimers comin on?
tideeyed
Wingbone

Unread postby ho » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:15 pm

That was Eddie Grant, bro.
ho

Unread postby tideeyed » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:21 pm

Doh!!! you ruined my one last chance @ having my name on ALL the posts.
Lets try again. But didnt Herbie have Some Hit in the eighties?
tideeyed
Wingbone

Unread postby tideeyed » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:25 pm

Yes you are absolutely correct, Eddie Grant demented me in the 80's. Thanx for the reminder.
tideeyed
Wingbone

Unread postby owl » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:42 pm

ho wrote:Dave Brubeck

I once saw Dave Brubeck, and it was mind blowing.

Kind of Blue is good as hell.

Also, you might appreciate Vince Guaraldi - he wrote a lot of the Charlie Brown themes.

By the way, are you watching the Ken Burns series for class? If not, you should definitely check it out, or check your library to see if you can get it for free. It is very enlightening & entertaining, and truly, made Louis Armstrong one of my heroes.
Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage. — Edward Abbey

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Unread postby pshp » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:05 pm

merv wrote:Also, you might appreciate Vince Guaraldi - he wrote a lot of the Charlie Brown themes.

i ADORE Vince Guaraldi. he always gets me to my happy place :D

Pyramid, by The Modern Jazz Quartet is awesome. my friend sent it to me, and i wouldn't listen to it for awhile because it had the words "modern jazz" in it. for some reason i thought it might bite me. turns out it's become one of my most favorite cd's (yes yes...i promise to give it back :P )

also, i can't say that i've ever heard a bad song by Thelonious Monk. he's a'aight.
pshp
Admin

Unread postby owl » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:34 pm

MJQ is definitely a great group. Love the vibes.
Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage. — Edward Abbey

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Unread postby mike » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:43 pm

Miles was a great place for ya to start. You might want to check out Bitches Brew or Tribute to Jack Johnson to get a feel for his 70's electric side.

Some of the jazz folk I've always been fond of are...Charles Mingus, Sun Ra, Pharoah Sanders, Rashaan Roland Kirk (how can you not love a guy that can play three horns at one time, his nose flute stuff it quite nice too), Coltrane, John Zorn (his Masada and Filmworks series), William Parker, Art Ensemble Of Chicago and list could continue on for a while but those are folks at the top.

The HiM recomendation above is a great one. Be sure to check out the two records they released on Perishable. Both of those albums are super strong records from beginning to end.

If your library checks out music, that is a great place to start. That way you can figure out what kind of stuff you dig without having to spend gobs of money.
mike

Unread postby ho » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:13 pm

oooh, more:

re: hIm. I have point of departure and have had a hard time getting into it. The new one, hovever is played alot. More accessible as they say.

I second John Zorn. Love that freak, saw Masada once in P-town. That was good. I also like the collaboration w/ Mike Patton from Faith No More.

It is Jim Jarmush's fault that I listen to the Lounge Lizards. John Laurie, the hornblower, is a great jazz-erist.

It's not Christmas w/out Vince Guaraldi.
ho

Unread postby tideeyed » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:41 pm

Ya know, I gave up lookin for music at the library a long time ago, all they ever had was that Jazz stuff. :roll: Thanx for the reminder. Thanx for all the good ideas everyone. Keep em comin'.
tideeyed
Wingbone

Unread postby pshp » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:53 pm

i CANNOT get a good vibe from john zorn. i get that frank zappa auditory feeling of WTF am i listening to :shock: ??!!! what do i need to hear that is relatively accessible? and mike patton? he just scares me. he's like linda blair's possessed older brother or something, although i'm sure he's very nice and fun at parties. i have a vision of rustling thru the medicine cabinet, looking for tranquilizers, should i hear these 2 people together.
pshp
Admin

Unread postby mike » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:29 pm

I really dig the more recent Filmworks stuff that Zorn has been cranking out in the last three years (Vol. 10 to present), great stuff for reading or sitting quietly around the house. Mostly strings with Zorn just writting and directing and not playing. If the skronkin' Zorn was doing in the early 90's is what scared you off you could try there. His sound has really matured in the last four years.

The CD "Invitation to A Suicide" (Filmworks Vol. 13, I think) is really nice. I'd kinda like to find the film too. It's about a guy that gets in debt so the folks he owes the money to are going to kill his father. The kid decides to sell tickets to his own suicide to pay off the bookees and save his father. Oooooh...how deep. The music is pretty haunting and quite beautiful.

There's a story about Zorn and Masada playing at the Knitting Factory in NYC and Madaline Albright (sp?) and some other heads of state from the US and UK were in the balcony watching the show. It seems that they got a little chatty during one of the songs so Zorn stops, singles them out and tells Albright to "Shut the fuck up or leave" They stayed and quietly enjoyed the show. Or so the story goes. When Tim & Jim played that last show here in Memphis, I sure wanted to tell a lot of people to shut the fuck up or leave.
mike

Unread postby pshp » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:25 am

mike wrote:IIf the skronkin' Zorn was doing in the early 90's is what scared you off

that is EXACTLY what happened, and i never looked back. muchas gracias for the directional suggestion, and for the story too. i like Madeline a lot, but it's good information in case she should invite me to a show or concert in the future.

back in the mid 90's when i used to own a lovely little indie record shop, i used to have this guy who came in and would order jazz cd's. the store was primarily alt/indie, so i special ordered his stuff no prob. once he announced to me that i didn't REALLY know how to appreciate music because i didn't listen to jazz. this pissed me off so i avoided jazz (being the mature adult that i was), assuming that everyone who liked it was a pompous arrogant ass. i've since moved on. slow but sure.

this was about the same time when i developed a fanatical obsession with red red meat. i listened almost exclusively to jimmywine and bunny over and over for at least year straight. this may explain why my store closed. this may explain many things, actually.
pshp
Admin

Unread postby .:.impossible. » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:34 am

Miles Davis In A Silent Way might be another accessible entry for Califans. John McLaughlin (guitarist) absolutely rips.

I am a big Monk fan and would recommend most everything you can find with his name on it. That goes for Bud Powell too. And Herbie Nichols if you can find anything. Great pianists.

MJQ (Modern Jazz Quartet) is also nice, though more of a chamber jazz group. I do like my music a little rough around the edges. Most of their stuff is so very refined. I can't help but like it though, I play vibes.

Rahsaan is the man in my book. Check out a Charles Mingus album called MINGUS AT CARNEGIE HALL for a good dose of Rahsaan, Mingus, and a host of other great musicians having an amazing night!

Other classic recordings that I think would be great entries...

The Quintet At Massey Hall Charlie Parker, Dizzie Gillespie, Bud Powell, Charlie Parker, Max Roach. 1953. Whoa. This should be on everyone's shelf. Really great music.

Louis Armstrong Hot Fives and Sevens. I think this is definitely up you Califans' alleys. This music is raw and rhythmic and musical. A lot in common with Califone when I think about it, but very different musics. Try this. It is early American music and it is advanced, yet still folk music.

I really could go on and on on this one. I'll be happy to share anything with anyone whose interested.
.:.
.:.impossible.
Heron King

Unread postby brent » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:56 am

It really helps to see the folks who make this shit. I would recommend watching "Thelonius Monk:Straight, No Chaser" or that Ornette Coleman documentary- I think it's called "Made in America"- but maybe not. Whether or not it's called that, everybody should have to watch an old-ish man trying to explain to a doctor why he needs to be castrated.
brent
Sawtooth

Unread postby mike » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:19 pm

pshp wrote: assuming that everyone who liked it was a pompous arrogant ass[/color]

That kinda describes Zorn to a tee
mike

Unread postby tom kha gai » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:44 pm

ass[/color]?

i like the jazz musics, but i'm only a pompous ass. i could try to be arrogant for you, pshp, if it would help.
tom kha gai

Unread postby tom kha gai » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:51 pm

vandermark 5
(or any of the various groups ken vandermark has going)

pretty much any recording that drummer hamid drake plays on is a sure bet to blow your mind.

matthew shipp, in his various groups, is always stretching my brain. his blue series on Thirsty Ear is a grand effort at questioning the boundaries of what gets considered "jazz."

william parker is a mighty force on bass, and another person to be trusted. if you see his name in the credits, it's worthy of your time.

turn your eyes and ears towards northern europe, too. get to know mr. mats gustafsson and his spastic reed brilliance. the AALY Trio is but one of his groups. you should see/hear paal nilssen-love on the drum kit sometime, too, if the chance arises.
tom kha gai

jazzbo's skinny arms

Unread postby tom kha gai » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:06 pm

charles gayle is definitely a heavy motherfucker on the saxophone, as is david s. ware.

evan parker is a circular breathing superstar. seeing him perform on reeds is always worth the price of admission.

i'm going to do my best to not write a book here. i'll post some links instead.

Labels:

Okka Disk has amazing artists from chicago and around the world, all housed in beautiful packaging. mr. bruno johnson move his whole deal up here to milwaukee from chicago last year, and opened a bar, so he hasn't updated that site in a while. please forgive him.

Aum Fidelity has branched out from being primarily a jazz label, but still has much to offer in this regard from the east coast.

Cryptogramophone covers the west coast, and offers the brilliant guitar work of mr. nels cline on many of its discs.

Drimala Records pimps its own artists and sells fine records from many other labels as well.

Wobbly Rail is superchunk mac's label, and everything he has released is stellar.

it isn't a label, but Indie Jazz is a good portal to peep for knowledge.

i could go on and on, but i have this other life i'm currently playing a part in and i need to get back to writing and memorizing my lines.

my bottom line: liking jazz doesn't necessarily make you an asshole.
tom kha gai

Unread postby pshp » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:19 pm

tom kha gai wrote:i could try to be arrogant for you, pshp, if it would help.

aren't you a dear! please tom, if you could indulge me, that'd be awesome.

tideeyed, how's that class coming along?
pshp
Admin

Unread postby tom kha gai » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:35 pm

so, as i was saying, the only good jazz is the kind that i like. if i want your opinion, i'll provide it. understand?

i hope that was good enough.
tom kha gai

Next

Return to Weightless repetition