Jazz Appreciation

Playful musings, 3rd rate psychiatric evaluations, and more (or less).

Unread postby mike » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:00 am

.:.impossible. wrote:SPACE IS THE PLACE is a fascinating read. Just about anything I've ever wanted to read about was touched upon in that book. Ra was an ecclectic and idiosyncratic dude.

Joyful Noise is a great documentary about Ra. If you are a fan or even just slightly curious seek out this film. It is much more than just performances, you get lots of face time from Ra spouting his brilliance.

And if you dig cheest blacksplotation films the movie Space Is The Place is a hoot, but gives you little true insight into the workings within Ra's head.
mike
On the Steeple with the Shakes

Unread postby dequalsrxt » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:34 pm

jazz is fun...as you go you discover connections that exist between artists you are familiar with, or make connections to artists you are unfamiliar with, thereby discovering new directions/new artists.

i started out years ago. the first jazz album that i knew was "blue train". from there i sort of went backwards and forwards at the same time...via miles davis, to bop stuff (bird, diz, monk) and in another direction free jazz and later fusion. ("bitches brew" was an important discovery for me.)

the smithsonian collection of classic jazz is a great resource. it really demonstrates musically how jazz evolved through innovation. i got into louis armstrong, duke ellington, charles mingus, and cecil taylor that way.

lately i've been getting into more vocal jazz.
-eD-
dequalsrxt
Wingbone

Unread postby squirrel » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:23 pm

best jazz vocalist record=

johnny hartman/john coltrane

just plain beautiful
on the edge of sleeping
squirrel
The Cutter

Unread postby tideeyed » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:39 pm

Whew...two more days and I'm done with this class. I have gained an appreciation for jazz. I even think I'm going to pass this class.

I'll find out when I turn in my term paper which deals with the implications of a world without jazzercize.

As for my own experience I've heard GENE AMMONS on the radio a few times and I have found him very pleasent to my ears. If any califonian might be contemplating a dip into jazz territory, I think he might be a decent place to start. Thats my own 2 cents at least.

O.K. enough jazz for me for a while. Back to the 'fone!!!!!!!!
tideeyed
Wingbone

Unread postby squirrel » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:41 pm

i'd like to read your paper.
on the edge of sleeping
squirrel
The Cutter

Unread postby legalwalleye » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:23 am

I'm reading of jazz vocalists and Sun Ra which brings to mind one of my favorites...

Clyde Williams
legalwalleye
Wingbone

Unread postby tideeyed » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:37 pm

are you sure you wanna read this?
"... as the aerobics boom started to lose steam in the early eighties, and the National Association for Jazz Shall Only be Taken Seriously affiliates implemented a ban on the up and coming Jazzercize Foundation. Thousands of mothers ended up staying at home between the hours of 5:00pm to 7:00pm on Friday nights, which forced their pot smoking teenage children to venture out earlier on Fridays. The Simpsons T.V. show was cancelled after just four episodes..." exerpted from "the sad worlds without Jazzercize" written by Pen Naime. Please dont make me relive my findings. The whole thesis was quite traumatic.
tideeyed
Wingbone

Previous

Return to Weightless repetition