Jazz Appreciation

Playful musings, 3rd rate psychiatric evaluations, and more (or less).

Unread postby pshp » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:37 pm

PERFECT!!! i feel sufficiently inadequate now. you rock!
pshp
Admin

Unread postby mike » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:58 pm

tom kha gai wrote:pretty much any recording that drummer hamid drake plays on is a sure bet to blow your mind.

Oh how true. I stumbled upon Hamid Drake on a whim while visiting Chicago many years ago. He absolutely floored me. I feverishly hunted down everything I could by him. Not too long ago I found "Songs for Suffering World" with Drake, William Parker and David Budbill. Boy did that thing suck! You've been warned there is one Drake record that will not likely blow your mind.

"Peircing the Veil" is something else though!

However, I could be wrong...Tom could you please tell me my opinion?
mike
On the Steeple with the Shakes

Unread postby tom kha gai » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:22 am

pshp wrote:PERFECT!!! i feel sufficiently inadequate now. you rock!

INCORRECT! i "jazz"
tom kha gai

Unread postby tom kha gai » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:25 am

mike, in this instance your opinion is already correct. spoken word + shakuhachi = suck.

i will point out that i wrote "pretty much any recording," and so that particular hamid drake appearance is excluded from the mindblowing category by the "pretty much" clause.
tom kha gai

Unread postby pshp » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:53 am

suddenly i see that it's not so much about the jazz as it is about the font color.
pshp
Admin

Unread postby tideeyed » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:11 pm

So far So Good. Thanx again for all the help. So who's good with Calculus? :D
tideeyed
Wingbone

Unread postby Redington » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:50 pm

I'll have to second the Mingus suggestion. I think he's really accessible, the 3rd guy I got into (after Miles and Coltrane). He has that kind of raw sound that could appeal to Califone fans, with a dose of just wildness or something. Ah Um, Pithecanthropus Erectus, Oh Yeah, and Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus are good starting points, I think.

I've seen a bunch of his recordings for pretty cheap on new vynil lately, it may be a nice way to start.
Redington
Wingbone

Unread postby tideeyed » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:51 pm

If we get enough jazz hits, then soon, anyone who Googles Jazz wil soon become a Caliphonean. My master plan unfolds...
tideeyed
Wingbone

Unread postby ho » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:23 pm

No Calculus yet, i'm 30 and struggling through my trig class. Stupid math!
ho

Unread postby Redington » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:39 pm

math is pretty. I haven't taken a calculus class or used calculus in 10 years, though. Sorry.
Redington
Wingbone

Unread postby legalwalleye » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:44 am

mike wrote:
tom kha gai wrote:pretty much any recording that drummer hamid drake plays on is a sure bet to blow your mind.

[color=brown]Oh how true. I stumbled upon Hamid Drake on a whim while visiting Chicago many years ago.

I cannot agree more. Hamid Drake is hands down the best drummer I have ever seen LIVE. He does appear on a lot of recordings, but nothing can replace the live experience.. Of the few times I was privledged enough to witness this guy, the best was with the DKV trio.

legalwalleye
Wingbone

Unread postby .:.impossible. » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:28 am

Although Vandermark catches a lot of flack, I like his School Days band. I'm looking forward to hearing the Okka double with Atomic.

Chicagoans check out Fred Anderson. Von Freeman. Roscoe Mitchell. Joseph Jarman. Lester Bowie. Famadou! AEC. AACM. The list will go on forever.

I'm a big fan of anything with Jimmy Garrison on it. He's not from Chicago though.
.:.
.:.impossible.
Heron King

Unread postby legalwalleye » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:33 am

.:.impossible. wrote:Although Vandermark catches a lot of flack, I like his School Days band. I'm looking forward to hearing the Okka double with Atomic.

Chicagoans check out Fred Anderson. Von Freeman. Roscoe Mitchell. Joseph Jarman. Lester Bowie. Famadou! AEC. AACM. The list will go on forever.

I'm a big fan of anything with Jimmy Garrison on it. He's not from Chicago though.

I saw Atomic a couple months back opening for Vandermark 5 and they truly blew me away, could I say... stole the show?
legalwalleye
Wingbone

Unread postby mike » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:39 pm

.:.impossible. wrote:Chicagoans check out Fred Anderson. Von Freeman. Roscoe Mitchell. Joseph Jarman. Lester Bowie. Famadou! AEC. AACM. The list will go on forever. .

I saw Jeb Bishop Trio play the last time I was in Chicago, and that stuff was great too. I've yet to see Fred Anderson perform, but his Velvet Lounge is one of the coolest clubs I've been to in any city.

Haven't Roscoe Mitchell and Lester Bowie moved on to their next experience? Are there any AEC members still living? I thought I read a few months back that Malachi Favors passed on too, I could be very wrong though.
mike

Unread postby miche » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:56 pm

i've seen Fred Armisen perform a few times which begs the question - Can funny be "jazz"?
miche
The Cutter

Unread postby tom kha gai » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:41 pm

no, no it can't. there is no humor (or humour, in your case) in the music. it's all mappings on giant sheets of graph paper.

get oot your protractors!

comedy is not pretty. jazz is not comedy. canada is not america.
tom kha gai

Unread postby .:.impossible. » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:47 pm

I was just throwing out names of musicians that I associate with Chicago. Lester Bowie has passed away. Malachi did pass winter of this year. Roscoe, though is still very much alive!

How about Henry Threadgill and Air?!!!

Or Chicago era Sun Ra? Some great Chicago musicians picked up and moved to Philly, then to NYC to be with Sun Ra's group (and they were barely able to afford food!)
Heron King

Unread postby tom kha gai » Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:54 am

see what i mean, miche? there's no humour in barely being able to afford food.
tom kha gai

Unread postby miche » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:37 pm

tom kha gai wrote:see what i mean, miche? there's no humour in barely being able to afford food.

try telling that to Carrot Top.
miche
The Cutter

Unread postby 3viewsofTinaYothers » Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:26 am

I second Miles Davis Bitches Brew, anything from Art Blakey, Charles Mingus or Jaco Pastorious/Weather Report is usually pretty safe. Medeski Martin & Wood are good, although a purist might argue that they are not jazz.
3viewsofTinaYothers
Sawtooth

Unread postby legalwalleye » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:02 pm

.:.impossible. wrote:I was just throwing out names of musicians that I associate with Chicago. Lester Bowie has passed away. Malachi did pass winter of this year. Roscoe, though is still very much alive!

How about Henry Threadgill and Air?!!!

Or Chicago era Sun Ra? Some great Chicago musicians picked up and moved to Philly, then to NYC to be with Sun Ra's group (and they were barely able to afford food!)

Lester Bowie and Threadgill - YEs!
Sun Ra was and is a GOD.

I want to read the bio on him that I heard is really good - space is the place. anyone read it?
legalwalleye
Wingbone

Unread postby squirrel » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:46 pm

my 2 pennies:

albert ayler's complete impulse recordings released a few years ago blew me the fuck away.

eric dolphy--out to lunch (epic record in my life)

pharoah sanders--cohort of coltrane in the late 60's. his solo stuff post coltrane is dope. his recordings were done in that "everybody here is also a percussionist" style. lots of thumb pianos and african percussion and shit. check out karma, black unity, jewels of thought and summun, bukmun, umyun.

lounge lizards--s/t

thelonious monk--anything. this man changed the way i listen to music

there is a good deal of free jazz recordings that just blow. this is more often music to witness than to purchase. beware.

apart from fahey's records, charlie brown christmas can't be touched.

everybody loves brubeck

oliver nelson--the blues and the abstract truth

cannonball adderly--something else

okay maybe that was more than two pennies. i'm going to stop myself now.
on the edge of sleeping
squirrel
The Cutter

Unread postby legalwalleye » Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:09 pm

squirrel wrote:my 2 pennies:

albert ayler's complete impulse recordings released a few years ago blew me the fuck away.

eric dolphy--out to lunch (epic record in my life)

pharoah sanders--cohort of coltrane in the late 60's. his solo stuff post coltrane is dope. his recordings were done in that "everybody here is also a percussionist" style. lots of thumb pianos and african percussion and shit. check out karma, black unity, jewels of thought and summun, bukmun, umyun.

lounge lizards--s/t

thelonious monk--anything. this man changed the way i listen to music

there is a good deal of free jazz recordings that just blow. this is more often music to witness than to purchase. beware.

apart from fahey's records, charlie brown christmas can't be touched.

everybody loves brubeck

oliver nelson--the blues and the abstract truth

cannonball adderly--something else

okay maybe that was more than two pennies. i'm going to stop myself now.

hey, you mention some excellent stuff. I'll have to look into the lounge lizards. I love karma - I like to also add "Tauhid" with the added bonus of Sonny Sharrock and another great more recent lp w. Pharoah and sonny again is "Ask the Ages" a true classic. Funny you bring up Ayler, we just had a little ayler discussion here
http://hardscratch.net/buzz/viewtopic.php?t=79
legalwalleye
Wingbone

Unread postby tideeyed » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:47 pm

Wow. Thanx for all the ideas. I am now reaching maximum overload.
To think I didn't even know what jazz was 2 months ago...
Were finally getting through the Big Band era in class and we're heading into the Modern Jazz Quartet stuff. I always thought modern meant it was from the '90s :shock:
O.K. so ima gonna check out some Thelonios Monk and some Sun Ra the next time I hit the record store.
Once again keep the ideas coming, I can always look back at this post after the class is over.
If anything, when there's nothing on the radio, I can now tune to the Jazz station and actually dig it. dig it daddio?
tideeyed
Wingbone

Unread postby .:.impossible. » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:42 pm

Don't be turned off if you don't like the Sun Ra album that the store has in stock. There really is no telling what you're going to get. If it is on the Evidence label, you are probably safe, and the earlier the better. You probably don't want to jump into 1965+ Sun Ra at this stage. Takes some time.

SPACE IS THE PLACE is a fascinating read. Just about anything I've ever wanted to read about was touched upon in that book. Ra was an ecclectic and idiosyncratic dude.

We can't give you all the good jazz yet anyway. You have to earn that. Start with the beginners stuff and if you become addicted as quickly as I did, you'll end up finding out about a whole nother world.
Heron King

PreviousNext

Return to Weightless repetition