Recent Listening

Playful musings, 3rd rate psychiatric evaluations, and more (or less).

Recent Listening

Unread postby mike » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:20 pm

Hey folks what are ya listening to during the lull from our fine freinds at Perishable?

I been listening to a lot of a band called Hala Strana (http://www.worstward.com) which is part of the jewelled antler collective from the San Fransico/Bay Area (http://jewelledantler.com/ very out of date web site). I think like-minded califone fans would really dig this stuff. A blend of home made and antique instruments used to make beautiful abstact instros based on traditional ethnic music from eastern europe. For those adventurous souls out there I recommend checking it out.

A few others that have been providing listening pleasure:
Cooper-Moore - 7x 7" box set
Fruit Bats - Spelled in Bones
NNCK - Dutch Money
Bush Taxi Mali (fantastic field recordings on Sublime Fequencies label)
Andrew Bird - Fingerlings 2

What other great stuff have I missed out on in the last year or so?
mike
On the Steeple with the Shakes

Unread postby owl » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:59 am

Fruit Bats
Lucinda Williams, esp. Live at the Fillmore and Car Wheels on a Gravel Road
Vic Chesnutt's West of Rome
Elliott Smith
Iron and Wine
Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage. — Edward Abbey

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Unread postby mike » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:01 am

I don't own any Vic Chestnut, but I go see him live when he comes through town. He was just here a few weeks ago with Jonathan Richmond, but alas I missed it becuase I was in Cuba.
He's been hit or miss for me live. What are the better recordings to pick up for home listening?

I've keep coming back for more Iron & Wine and the records have yet to disappoint. The stuff he has been doing with Deck behind the controls has been great. Did you get the Iron & Wine/Calexico EP. I wish I could be at one of those shows with Rutili sitting it!

Speaking of which....those are happening right around now aren't they...reviews please. It would be great if some kind soul gets us audio recordings. I'd like to hear all three sets, especially if there is some cross pollinating goin' on...
mike
On the Steeple with the Shakes

Unread postby owl » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:40 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing Iron and Wine when they come to Philly. I agree; I have yet to be disappointed by Sam Beam.

Going to see the Fruit Bats on Saturday.

Just saw Vic Chesnutt last Monday. Interesting show, but I can see how he'd be hit or miss. West of Rome is my favorite of his. Highly recommended.

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Unread postby Nervous John » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:01 pm

Bo Diddley--The Chess Box
Over and over again. I love the way the guitars sound on his record.

John Lennon--Plastic Ono Band
A great record. I love Ringo's drumming and I love how straightforwardly the songs are presented. And John is probably my favorite singer.[/i]
I wish I was a mole in the ground.
Nervous John
Cheater

Unread postby nat » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:02 am

I think Vic Chesnutt is best when he is solo. My favorite album is Little, though West of Rome and Is the Actor Happy? are very good as well. After those, his albums are kind of hit or miss depending on what you like about him.
nat
Heron King

Unread postby andu » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:26 am

I've been listening to the new Broken Social Scene a lot. A bit of a departure from there last one, but still pretty good in its own right. Its sounds a bit more coherant i guess. Also, I picked up an Arcade Fire show off of dimeadozen that I went to in Minneapolis. Excellent show and set.
andu
Cheater

Unread postby owl » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:46 pm

nat wrote:I think Vic Chesnutt is best when he is solo. My favorite album is Little, though West of Rome and Is the Actor Happy? are very good as well. After those, his albums are kind of hit or miss depending on what you like about him.

I'll agree with you there. To be honest, I haven't really found a whole lot of interest outside West of Rome, and I still haven't been able to get into Is the Actor Happy?.

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Unread postby nat » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:26 pm

I'll agree with you there. To be honest, I haven't really found a whole lot of interest outside West of Rome, and I still haven't been able to get into Is the Actor Happy?.

I think you'd like Little then. It's just VC solo. Also probably his simplest & most straightforward song-structure wise.
nat
Heron King

Unread postby owl » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:29 pm

I've actually bought that one too and recall liking it more than Actor. I just haven't listened to it too much. That will be my next step. I hate to say it, but I like the depressing songs best.

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Return to Weightless repetition