2005 in review

Playful musings, 3rd rate psychiatric evaluations, and more (or less).

2005 in review

Unread postby mike » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:34 pm

Yawn......quiet around these parts lately. Well it's nearing the end of yet another year and sure we may still be stuck with George W. for three more years, but there was a lot of great music released this year worth celebrating. What stuff blew you away this year? I'd love to know about the stuff I missed so I can give it a listen.

My favs in no particular order:
James Blackshaw - "Lost Prayers and Motionless Dances" & "Sunshrine" (both on the Digitalis label) - great solo performances by this young brit - 12 string & 6 string guitars, sarod, harmonium, farfisa, organ, glockenspiel, bells & bowed cymbals = one word...lush

Califone - Everybody's Mothers Vol. 1 - thanks for releasing this stuff Tim...I can't get enough of the 1/4 Horses and Oxtail versions on here...the rest is great too

Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake It's Morning - I've never been a big fan of Bright Eyes, but I keep coming back for more of this record

Steven R. Smith - Crown Of Marches - 45 minute solo piece from the man behind Hala Strana...dark, twisted, beautiful

Jack Rose - Kensington Blues - Fahey reincarnate

Iron & Wine - Woman King - teaming up with Brian Deck again....Beam created a record that departed from what I expected...it even had...gasp...distortion on the guitars....his record with Calexico was quite nice too

Lets hear it, what records did you wear out on your turntable or CD players this year?
mike
On the Steeple with the Shakes

My list thing

Unread postby andu » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:35 pm

In no particular order, here's what I dug this year:

Isis: Oceanic - Yeah I know, it came out a while back, but I just got into it. Really heavy, but in a melodic way. Haven't found a good comparison for them...

Broken Social Scene: S/T and E.P - Great album from these guys too. I didn't know what to think at first, but its more cohearant than their last one. I've been listening to this and Isis a TON

Shipping News: Flies the Fields - Technically 6 new tracks, but still all really good. These guys still blow my mind.

M83: Before the Dawn Heals us - Showed me the complete other side of electronic music. I always compare then to Pink Floyd somehow, but it feels right I guess

I could babble on but I'll stop there. Everybody's Mother was excellent as well! Glad to hear it all!
andu
Cheater

Unread postby SinkingSubmarine » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:18 pm

Mindless Self Indulgence- You'll Rebel To Anything
I absolutely love this album.

Pinback- Too Many Shadows EP
ok so this was the 2004 tour live album...but I think it was released in 05.

those are my two.

long live bush.
Buraku Empororu!
SinkingSubmarine
Sawtooth

Return to Weightless repetition