Taster's Choice - Recommended Listening

Playful musings, 3rd rate psychiatric evaluations, and more (or less).

Unread postby ho » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:49 pm

fair oaks?
ho
On the Steeple with the Shakes

Unread postby owl » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:45 pm

For Chrissake, get Wilco's "A Ghost Is Born" tomorrow!
Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage. — Edward Abbey

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:37 am

Marc Ribot - Saints

Solo guitar (in) pieces.

Neil Young is not Neil Young.

Yet equally pretentious.

re: marc ribot

Unread postby LAD » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:41 am

Yes, and M. Ribot's version of "Dark was the night, cold was the ground" should be required listening for anyone who isn't an asshole or no longer wants to be one.

Beautiful, the way few things are. Beautiful.
LAD

Unread postby Nervous John » Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:22 pm

Anything by Syd Barrett.

Even his songs that are *ahem* lacking are warm and human and real and worth listening to.

I can't get this guy out of my head lately.

I fucking hated Pink Floyd . . . until I heard "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn." "Hello," I said to myself. "How did a band this good turn to shit?" Then I realized that it was Syd who was so good, not the rest. And I've consumed nearly everything that Syd has produced, and I love it all. So, in sum, Pink Floyd sucks, but SYD's Pink Floyd was masterful. And Syd's solo records are beautiful and poppy and avante garde and challenging and simple and heartbreaking and reaffirming.
I wish I was a mole in the ground.
Nervous John
Cheater

Re: re: marc ribot

Unread postby Nervous John » Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:27 pm

LAD wrote:Yes, and M. Ribot's version of "Dark was the night, cold was the ground" should be required listening for anyone who isn't an asshole or no longer wants to be one.

:shock:

I've been an asshole all this time and never even realized it! Guess I'll have to remedy this sooner or later and check it out.
Nervous John
Cheater

Unread postby drude » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:42 pm

julian cope - jehovahkill.

what a freak. nicey
drude

Unread postby legalwalleye » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:54 pm

i recently did this for a different board, why not here as well....

10 to start with:

1. ornette coleman - Complete Science Fiction Sessions.
2. sun ra - We Travel the Spaceways/Bad and Beautiful
3. frank lowe - fresh
4. brute force - brute force
5. peter brotzmann (Die Like a Dog Quartet) - Little Birds Have Fast Hearts, No. 1
6. mile davis - A Tribute to Jack Johnson
7. last exit - last exit
8. sonny sharrock - ask the ages
9. eric dolphy - iron man
10. atomic - boom boom (if you can find it)
legalwalleye
Wingbone

Unread postby Nervous John » Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:33 pm

legalwalleye wrote:i recently did this for a different board, why not here as well....

10 to start with:

1. ornette coleman - Complete Science Fiction Sessions.
2. sun ra - We Travel the Spaceways/Bad and Beautiful
3. frank lowe - fresh
4. brute force - brute force
5. peter brotzmann (Die Like a Dog Quartet) - Little Birds Have Fast Hearts, No. 1
6. mile davis - A Tribute to Jack Johnson
7. last exit - last exit
8. sonny sharrock - ask the ages
9. eric dolphy - iron man
10. atomic - boom boom (if you can find it)

Umm. . . a lot of this stuff is, like, jazz or something, right?

I just don't get jazz. It's a shortcoming, I know. I don't think that I am musically smart enough to absorb and enjoy it. I borrowed John Coltrane's "Blue Train" from my local library once. I listened to it a few times. Thought, "that was nice." Returned it and never looked back.

I plan on giving some jazz another shot in a few years. Maybe I'll have grown up enough by then to enjoy it.
Nervous John
Cheater

Unread postby legalwalleye » Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:41 pm

don't be so nervous john. it's not really about growing up, i think it's more about ones own range of versatility in there musical liking - I'd think.

I listed the jazz, probably because I was reading members noting miles, ribot, jobim and sharrock. Not taking anything away from coltrane's blue train, but that's not a place I would recommend to start.

My listening tastes are all over the place - I just love music. Let me think yesterday I listened to Bad Plus--Give-5 views, BB - To the 5 boroughs, UT - no depression, Probot - probot, voivod - RRRROOOAAAARRRR!, Wilco - summerteeth, SY - sonic nurse, SU - SU2000, "A ghost is Born about 3X and MB - Cell scape! - I think that's it - and in a different order for sure. It's nice having the time to listen right now. Other days I'll do a full random on the iPod of like 4000 songs.

I think we all listen to music differently and in different directions. you might give jazz a try again you might not. - peace.
legalwalleye
Wingbone

Ornette, Jazz

Unread postby Redington » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:42 pm

I'm really into Ornette's Chappaqua Suites right now. Very nice. I need to dig out some Ashir Tsahar Trio again.

I think everybody has their own starting point with Jazz. Cecil Taylor really got me started, but other friends of mine have had good introductions from guys like Mingus.
Redington

Unread postby legalwalleye » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:17 pm

:D Wow Chappaqua Suite! I'm going to have to dig that out just because you mentioned it. I haven't played that for over a year, that's a very different Ornette, he's with an ensemble if I remember correctly - I could be wrong. You know I really like some of his early sessions as well - like "something Else!" Yes, Mingus is a great starting point - a true God in Jazz. Sun Ra as well.

what is that "Ashir Tsahar Trio" like - I never heard of them.
recommend an album.

b

:?:
legalwalleye
Wingbone

Unread postby señor vaca » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:37 am

there's a not too new kickbuttagainandagain-album by a band called tv on the radio. take a listen at http://www.euroranch.org/archive/2004_0 ... 2156014090

btw, i like the sun.
yesterday i was recording the sound of the flying clouds, just as usual.
but what i then got to hear was harming me.
today i don't record the cloud's sounds.
señor vaca
Heron King

Unread postby benedetto » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:16 pm

Chappaqua Suite is quite excellent. A very different Ornette. awesome. and nobody ever mentions Iron Man when they talk about Dolphy. good one L W. ever hear "Conversations"? It's Dolphy in a variety of settings - all different combinations of people and instrumentation - from duets to small groups, i believe. it's pretty cool. we had it on the "hold" music at Perishable for awhile.

Anybody ever hear "Pyramid" by the Modern Jazz Quartet?
benedetto
Wingbone

Unread postby Redington » Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:41 pm

Sorry, I was typing too quickly, it's actually the Assif Tsahar Trio. Ein Sof is my favorite. Mr. Tsahar plays sax. Susie Ibarra was/is(?) married to him and plays drums on this album. William Parker (also one of my favorites) rounds out the trio. This trio has one other release together - I think it's called Shekhina - which I don't think is nearly as strong.

It's in the Albert Ayler vein. It's pretty intense, but fun.

I really like the relatively new Golden Circle, Vol. 1 disk by Ornette (OK, it's not a new recording, but a new release, recorded in '65).
Redington

Unread postby legalwalleye » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:40 pm

yes... Conversations. I truely love that later Dolphy period - besides his knot sax work, he's git a subtle but intense band backing him - the vibes play an important role. I'm going to look into the Assif Tsahar Trio - it seems to be hard to find. I just checked online only to find it on backorder :shock: Is it similar to Hasidic New Wave, Frank London or Masada?

I have not heard "Pyramid" by the Modern Jazz Quartet, but luckily my local library has a copy which is now on the way 8)

lgw
legalwalleye
Wingbone

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:25 pm

Well, here's some info at least:
http://www.silkheart.se/cgi-bin/cgiwrap ... gi?shcd148
There's a 1 minute clip on there in RealAudio too.

You can order it there, but it's $20! You're right, it does seem to be on back order pretty much everywhere.

You can also preview parts of the tracks at allmusic:
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... fwxqqjldfe

Is it similar to Hasidic New Wave, Frank London or Masada?

I have no idea. I'll admit my jazz knowledge can be a bit spotty. The link above compares him to David S. Ware. I don't buy it. I have only liked a couple of the David S. Ware records that I've heard (Go See the World is pretty good, I think).

Unread postby pshp » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:47 am

benedetto wrote:Anybody ever hear "Pyramid" by the Modern Jazz Quartet?

absolutely, completely love it and thank you.

i just found Clinic - Walking with Thee. it's my new favorite thing.
pshp
Admin

Unread postby legalwalleye » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:14 pm

Redington... make a trade?

Has anyone heard Battle - EP C ?
really cool, but different.
legalwalleye
Wingbone

Unread postby Nervous John » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:35 pm

legalwalleye wrote:don't be so nervous john. it's not really about growing up, i think it's more about ones own range of versatility in there musical liking - I'd think.

. . .

I think we all listen to music differently and in different directions. you might give jazz a try again you might not. - peace.

I think I'm going to give some of these jazz-types that you mention a shot every once in a while. Or maybe I'll just wait for the day when I hear a random snippet of something and am hooked in . . .
Nervous John
Cheater

Legalwalleye

Unread postby Redington » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:15 pm

I sent you an email.

I'm listening to the new Brother Ali EP now - it is very good. Fine MPLS hip hop.
Redington
Wingbone

Unread postby tarheel » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:48 pm

If you haven't heard Skip James or Blind Willie Johnson you're missing out.
tarheel
Cheater

Unread postby Redington » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:26 pm

There was a period of about two or three weeks where all I listened to was Skip James. Damn, what a haunting voice that dude had. Some fantastic songs, too. I grow tired of all of the bad covers of Hard Time Killin' Floor Blues - his versions are just so superior.

I like Blind Willie, but I've been lamenting my lack of having anything from Blind Lemon Jefferson lately.
Redington
Wingbone

Unread postby señor vaca » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:08 am

pshp wrote:

absolutely, completely love it and thank you.

i just found Clinic - Walking with Thee. it's my new favorite thing.

take a look for earlier clinic stuff aswell. and soon to come new album called 'Winchester Cathedral'.

the zutons seem to be a very awesome band (album: who killed the zutons?).
yesterday i was recording the sound of the flying clouds, just as usual.
but what i then got to hear was harming me.
today i don't record the cloud's sounds.
señor vaca
Heron King

Unread postby mike » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:54 am

I think we got this LP in the store the other day, I'll have to throw it on and give it a listen.
I've been on an extended Pharoah Sanders kick as of late. I just got my hands on "Village of the Pharoahs" which has been bringing much listening pleasure. I found "Wisdom Through Music" a few months back which got me on the kick. That and Alice Coltrane's "Journey In Satchindananda" (sp?), I love Sanders contributions to that one.

If anyone is familliar with the magazine "50 Miles of Elbow Room", Adam Lore just released a really cool box set with solo recordings by Cooper-Moore. It a 5x7" box set housed in a custom made cedar box branded on the front (I'm a sucker for creative packaging). Each side is a solo performance dedicated to an instrument (most of which he created himself). Only 500 were made, and it's worth the trouble to get your hands on it (a google search would likely do the trick).
mike
On the Steeple with the Shakes

PreviousNext

Return to Weightless repetition