Taster's Choice - Recommended Listening

Playful musings, 3rd rate psychiatric evaluations, and more (or less).

Taster's Choice - Recommended Listening

Unread postby pshp » Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:33 pm

do you have any particular musical recommendations or suggestions you would like to share with the class? let us know! so much greatness, so little time to explore, in many of our lives.

throw out some ideas. what do you love about the object of your affection? would you categorize it in any sense? got a link to direct us to some exposure?

whatever moves you might move us too. old, new...what's the difference? there are no rules. at least not here anyway.
pshp
Admin

Unread postby airstreamdriver » Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:59 am

a friend just gave me miles davis' "complete jack johnson sessions" box. sonny sharrock does things with a six string and an echoplex that even the guy who wrote the liner notes describes as "sick." sounds like sly and the family stone sawing a guitar in half. badass.
airstreamdriver
Wingbone

Unread postby tom kha gai » Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:27 am

i got to hear an hour of material from that jack johnson box set on the radio here the other day and it instantly shot to the top of my want list.

i would recommend bending your ears toward the voice of carla bozulich and her reinterpretation of willie nelson's album red headed stranger. she does it almost straight, but with plenty of what she calls "moodal" (moody + modal) inflection. nels cline is a guitarist who conjures unearthly sounds no matter what style he is working in, and he does some work on this record that even made old willie sit up and take notice. it's not a "country" record at all. it's about as "country" as califone.
tom kha gai
On the Steeple with the Shakes

Unread postby airstreamdriver » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:07 am

oddy enough, the miles track sharrock plays on is called "willie nelson."

no, the liner notes do not explain why the number was named after the guy.
airstreamdriver
Wingbone

Unread postby tom kha gai » Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:39 pm

no explanation necessary: it's the lattice of coincidence at work.
tom kha gai

Where they are now...

Unread postby ho » Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:19 pm

I like Carla very much. She used to be in the Geraldine Fibbers w/ Mr. Cline. Before that she was in Ethyl Meatplow. I enjoyed all those very much.

I also like Crooked Fingers. It is Eric Bachman's new band. He was in the Archers of Loaf, dontcha know.

I like Bonnie Prince Billy too. He used to be Palace and Will Oldham. No longer, not for now.

Right now I listen to Barton Carrol. He was Elery Jet, back in the day. Now he is the white wolf and plays with Crooked Fingers.

I also have some Neil Young on my desk. Not THE Neil Young, there is not that much room on my desk.
ho

Unread postby airstreamdriver » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:36 pm

been listening to neil's "greendale" the last couple days. his first record with a storyline... overly hippy dippy in places and recycles old melody lines, and is sometimes just silly and halfbaked. yet -- i can't seem to stop playing it. that fucker's guitar tone must be printed on my dna.
airstreamdriver
Wingbone

Unread postby owl » Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:06 am

I hear you. It's not, not cheesy, but I like it nonetheless, and it's catchy as hell.

airstreamdriver wrote:been listening to neil's "greendale" the last couple days. his first record with a storyline... overly hippy dippy in places and recycles old melody lines, and is sometimes just silly and halfbaked. yet -- i can't seem to stop playing it. that fucker's guitar tone must be printed on my dna.
Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage. — Edward Abbey

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Unread postby señor vaca » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:13 pm

Blacky Ranchette is fantastic. But not that new (I mean, it#s a band by Howe gelb). Take a listen -> http://www.euroranch.org/archive/2003_1 ... 1778077803

And of course the antichrist Bobby Conn. He makes outstanding (concept)albums and works sometimes as a whore.

Btw, how long is it possible to survive without eating?
yesterday i was recording the sound of the flying clouds, just as usual.
but what i then got to hear was harming me.
today i don't record the cloud's sounds.
señor vaca
Heron King

i should be writing a paper about college tours right now...

Unread postby ian » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:03 pm

but i have some reccomendations, too. figured i'd throw some challenging bullshit out there. seeing as how i hold rrm and califone in higher esteem than is, well, normal, i should have some muscial pedigree, no?

first, the straightforward -> pedro the lion. this guy literally makes the best musical argument for christianity in our era. still hasn't convinced this jew, but not for lack of quality, or trying. (low are second best) -> cat power. do it! -> along those lines, the blow and little wings, both on k records and scout niblett on secretly canadian -> spoon, on merge. -> matmos, on matador: their latest release, "the civil war," has much to reccomend it to rutilifans

now, well...the weirder stuff. califone related? maybe...
->philip jeck, tim hecker, thomas brinkmann, fennesz - these guys are incredible sound collagists. anyone on <a href="http://www.touchmusic.org.uk" target="_blank">touch records</a> is a good bet.
->animal collective/avey tare + panda bear
->[the user], on asphodel
->manitoba
->busdriver and radioinactive w/deadalus are the weather
->bishop allen
->broken social scene
->the anticon crew, especially cLOUDDEAD, why? and fog (who is on ninjatune)
->tops at the radio station i dj at right now: the unicorns, who are definitely worth checking out

ok, suns coming up...back to my paper.
ian

Unread postby tom kha gai » Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:51 pm

proceed directly to resplendentmusic.com and see what m. resplendent has been doing down in the basement since the fire show was extinguished. his new ep casket city wolves has some rutili guitar and some massarella and adamik percussion in the mix.
tom kha gai

Unread postby squirrel » Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:59 am

i can't stop listening to that boas cd mansion
squirrel

Unread postby owl » Wed Dec 24, 2003 4:34 am

I saw the tail end of their show one time, opening for Wilco. Sounded pretty good. The one guy came out later during Wilco's set, too.

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Unread postby tom kha gai » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:04 pm

are you suggesting that other members of the boas might still be closeted homosexuals, merv?
tom kha gai

MAHJONGG

Unread postby Nervous John » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:04 pm

I stumbled upon a band called Mahjongg a week or two ago. As far as I know, they just have an EP out on Cold Crush records called "Machinegong."

Good stuff. Kind of like if Gang of Four, Clinic, and Chic had a drum circle.

Their (rather odd) website is here:

http://www.arc6ery.com/

You can download the EP there too.
I wish I was a mole in the ground.
Nervous John
Cheater

Unread postby owl » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:13 pm

tom kha gai wrote:are you suggesting that other members of the boas might still be closeted homosexuals, merv?

The one guy showed his tail end to Wilco?

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Beach Boys Love You

Unread postby Nervous John » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:43 pm

Beach Boys "Love You"

Man, Brian Wilson was weird. And a genius.
I wish I was a mole in the ground.
Nervous John
Cheater

Unread postby pshp » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:09 am

i love all the CD's that were stolen out of my car this weekend in Toronto. they took ALL of my beloved Flaming Lips! how mean is THAT??? rat fucking bastards.

anyhoo, i just got a great collection Al Green Love Songs that i'm really groovin on, baby. wonderful candlelight dinner music, imo
pshp
Admin

Unread postby pshp » Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:33 pm

i just found my way to American Analogue Set. woah. i'm in love. 'Punk as Fuck'? hardly. absolutely.
pshp
Admin

good music

Unread postby raintype17 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:25 am

well, what bands to listen to? great question. most of what i mentioning have little connection with califone, sound or otherwise. but here goes-
16 horsepower- awesome band, rarely tours the US. very rustic, the singers like some crazy prophet.
red house painters- yea, there popular, but i discovered them while getting some red red meat, and really got into them.
three mile pilot
the silver jews
retsin- a great girl band, the first song i heard, duck out, is awesome.
magnetic fields, neutral milk hotel, any other merge bands, also check out saddle creek 50, a great sampler of all the bands on the label.
if u want to hear a good local band, check out my friend jons band oris, at http://www.orismusic.com. cant really think of any more bands at the moment. maybe ill post more later...
oh, whatta day for sunshine, oh, what a day for blue skies
raintype17
Sawtooth

Unread postby ho » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:53 pm

Because of my very strict budget I have not been able to buy anything of late. However, I did just get Magnolia Electric Company and the Black Keys - Thickfreakness.

I really like the Magnolia/Molina stuff. Has a great special quality. Sounds very open road, out west. I'm going to try it out as driving music this weekend.

The Black Keys sounds like a dirty mix of Jon Spencer, Jimi Hendrix, Bad Company, Stevie Ray Vaughn and the Stokes. Mucho Gusto!
ho

Unread postby davidbohm » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:43 am

The Decemberists are without a doubt one of the best bands out there now.

Also check out The Golden River album by Frog Eyes for one of the most unique sounding albums you've heard in a while. Dark, theatric and epic.
davidbohm

Unread postby hézeués manchidao » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:30 pm

me dig new cds by magnetic fields, fiery furnaces, joanaspolicewoman, sounds of Dakar volume 3, masked and anonymous soundtrack, dig?
hézeués manchidao

Unread postby davidbohm » Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:23 pm

I second the Fiery Furnaces, the new cd is insane.
davidbohm

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:55 pm

crooked fingers make me shiver. love to watch them live, mostly for their accoustic sets that they play in the middle of the audience...

built to spill, always and forever will i love thee. and blonde redhead's earlier stuff on dischord is great...sparkelhorse, it's a wonderful life...
brainiac, bonsai superstar...jeffery lewis has this great song"OH AMANDA"
american analog set! my mother listens to it, and she is punk as fuck.

stereo total has been great for the shake your shoulders while standing in line for coffee,

but most recommended at the moment...gezt/gilberto girl from ipanema (sp?) let the sun roll in!

Next

Return to Weightless repetition