Jimmywine Majestic

Red Red Meat, Loftus and other musical synthesis. Six degrees of Califone.

Jimmywine Majestic

Unread postby Nervous John » Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:25 pm

Okay, I got into Red Red Meat backwards; I got into Califone and then sought out the Red Red Meat stuff.

I kind of avoided Red Red Meat when they were in their prime because of their (admittedly loose) connection with Smashing Pumpkins.

My loss.

"Jimmywine Majestic" gets better with each listen.

I mean, "Roses?" DAMN!

The whole album makes me feel woozy. I listen to it sometimes, and I have no idea how Tim Rutili was in Red Red Meat and Califone.
I wish I was a mole in the ground.
Nervous John
Cheater

Unread postby cracker » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:14 pm

yep, start to finish, great fuckin' album. i gotst mine's back in '98 or so, still listen to at least 3/4 time a week. i couldn't make it go away if i tried :D
cracker

Unread postby Nervous John » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:46 pm

cracker wrote:yep, start to finish, great fuckin' album. i gotst mine's back in '98 or so, still listen to at least 3/4 time a week. i couldn't make it go away if i tried :D

It was kind of a grower for me. The first time I listened to it, I thought, "that was nice." But then, I kept on being drawn back for that big, loverly guitar sound. I then I started to really listen to the songs. Now I play it on the el at least once a week (just in my headphones, not so that the whole train can hear it).
I wish I was a mole in the ground.
Nervous John
Cheater

Re: Jimmywine Majestic

Unread postby mike » Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:24 am

Nervous John wrote:Okay, I got into Red Red Meat backwards; I got into Califone and then sought out the Red Red Meat stuff.

I kind of avoided Red Red Meat when they were in their prime because of their (admittedly loose) connection with Smashing Pumpkins.

The first (and only) time I saw Red Red Meat was opening up for Smashing Pumpkins (92 maybe 93?). I remember thinking damn that guy is really tall, so Glenn must have still been in the band. That was also the last time I saw the Smashing Pumpkins play becuase Corgan threw a temper tantrum on stage about 5 songs in then walked away. 5 songs was all they played! I was really glad I didn't pay to get in or I would have been pissed. So unfortunatley my only memory of the Red Red Meat show I saw is of Corgan being a whiney bitch.

Then many years later a freind came back from touring with Red Red Meat and Rex. He had a tape of this incredible stuff called Loftus. I couldn't get enough of it, but then the tape got lost. So I started to listen Rex to fill the void left by the lost loftus tape. I kept searching for the official release to no avail. Finaly I found it at the Perishable Records website a few years later. I bought the first Califone EP then Sin Ropas from them shortly afterwards.

That stuff was so good I started getting my hands on Red Red Meat. So I guess to make a short story too long, I got into RRM way ass backwards. Now I could really kick myself for being out of town when the Grifters/Rex/Red Red Meat tour hit here. I have been told by many that that was one hell of a show.
mike
On the Steeple with the Shakes

Unread postby pshp » Wed May 19, 2004 11:05 pm

i listened to jimmywine for 8 1/2 hours straight once, in 1996. in my car driving from trenton nj to buffalo ny. i had other cds with me. i was a tad mental at the time. stained and lit.

actually i just wanted to post in this forum so that my name would show up as the "last post" in every forum at the same time. i don't think anyone really gives a crap about a drive i took 8 years ago :P
pshp
Admin

Unread postby owl » Wed May 19, 2004 11:41 pm

pshp wrote:stained and lit.

are those two of the cds you brought along on the trip?
Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage. — Edward Abbey

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Unread postby pshp » Thu May 20, 2004 2:21 am

tris, if i ever buy a staind cd, do the right thing and give me kevorkian's number.
pshp
Admin

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:39 pm

I've been listening to my Califone discs for a few years now, and just recently realized I should do my research!

I have Loftus on order, along with Sin Ropas Trickboxes, and am looking for the Red Red Meat discs. Apparently, these are harder to find than I would have thought!

Any ideas where I could find this stuff?

What other music would you recommend?

Unread postby .:.impossible. » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:41 pm

By the way, I posted that...

Thanks!
.:.impossible.

Unread postby mike » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:56 pm

Anonymous wrote:I have Loftus on order, along with Sin Ropas Trickboxes, and am looking for the Red Red Meat discs. Apparently, these are harder to find than I would have thought!

Any ideas where I could find this stuff?

My understanding is that the Loftus CD is criminaly out of print. As far as the RRM albums go, I would think that if you are having trouble finding them in stores in your town you could order them direct from Sub Pop, they will likely still have them all.
Don't forget to get the first Sin Ropas CD on Perishable too. Tim & Ben play n all the oRSo releases on Perishable to. Becker was a Fruitbat (also available on Perishable). In fact you should just go and buy the entire Perishable catalog.
Since you asked for other recommendations, I will shamefully plug the Grifters. You can buy their stuff from me here: http://www.shangri.com
mike

Unread postby .:.impossible. » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:02 pm

Thanks Mike. I have the Fruitbats disc. I like it, though it is no where near as complex and layered as Califone. Those guys are cool though. Funny in a way.

I also have Songs:Ohia Ghost Tropic, Pinetop Seven, etc. who have all been compared to Califone here or there. I guess I understand the comparison, though each of these bands are only comparable to a small element of Califone's sound, which I suppose is actually as unique as I originally thought it was.

I still just can't imagine they developed this music in a vacuum.

I ordered two copies of the Loftus disc from insound. If they come through, I will post here to let everyone know that the disc is possibly still available.
.:.impossible.

Unread postby owl » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:24 pm

I downloaded Jimmywine Majestic the other day off iTunes (yep, I paid to download music) and it is damn good. I'm listening to it right now.

I was going to start a thread for it, but this one was already at the top of the list.
Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage. — Edward Abbey

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Unread postby tideeyed » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:14 pm

Ugh Oh...dont get me started... many, many moons ago i read a review in some local rag sayin Jimmy Wine had a Stonesy Bluesy feel and i believe it was given a many star review. Seeing as though I was into a Stonesy blues type of thang at that time I decided to go out on a limb and buy it. First listen I was kinda like, huh, yea, O.K. The c.d. kinda sat around for about a year and then one day I wuz cleanin my house and I decided to put on some tunes and I pulled out the old RRM cd. I was vaccuming so I couldnt hear nothin, then I turned off the vaccum cleaner and I was suddenly enlightened. Went right out to the fine folks at the now defunct Hegwisch records and bought all the RRM stuff they had. So now I got all the RRM albums and Im hooked. At that point I started delving into the internet. I looked them up to find, Im behind the times, I should be checkin out loftus. I get the loftus and check the net, only to find I should be listenin to Califone. Anywho I always been a year behind.
tideeyed
Wingbone

Unread postby fugazi48 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:28 pm

bump this to the top, not enough discussion.

I got Jimmywine Majestic my freshman year of College back in 1993. I remember reading the Illinois entertainer and seeing the Best of lists. REd REd meat and The Jesus Lizard were in most of the lists. I already had LIAR but didn't listen to Red REd Meat until after I saw the video for Smokey Mtn Dbl dip on JBTV. My friend worked at a record store in Merrillville and said the album was great so I got it.

It is a near perfect CD. I would love to see them get back together and perform this material live again.

I was lucky enough to catch them twice at Fireside Bowl. Once with, I think, REX and the Grifters, the other time with Astar Command. I managed to get a Tshirt at one of those shows.

I think the show I am really dissapointed that I missed was a show with Red Red Meat, Pegboy, and Poster Children (unless I am hallucinating, Rose from PC had said that show happened) Of course, I may be thinking of The Jesus Lizard, Pegboy, Posterchildren. (close I guess)
fugazi48
Sawtooth

Unread postby hanwaker » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:58 pm

hey
that 's the t-shirt you sold on ebay-!?
we are not used to people likeing what we do
(t. r. 3-21-04)
hanwaker

Unread postby fugazi48 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:35 pm

hanwaker wrote:hey
that 's the t-shirt you sold on ebay-!?

Same shirt, I decided to keep it. no one even looked at the auction on ebay. I will give it to my grandkids in 35 years.
fugazi48
Sawtooth

Unread postby hanwaker » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:03 am

not true-I LOOKED IT UP!
we are not used to people likeing what we do
(t. r. 3-21-04)
hanwaker

Return to Fingers in the spokes