Other musical synthesis

Red Red Meat, Loftus and other musical synthesis. Six degrees of Califone.

Other musical synthesis

Unread postby tideeyed » Wed May 30, 2007 1:41 pm

After working 80 hours a week for the past few weeks, I decided to go to the guitar center and buy myself a treat.

Well, for some odd reason I walked out of there with a NORD LEAD 2x synthesizer... I'm not sure why, I intended to walk out with Martin!

So now I'm sittin here with this synthamathing, and I'm kinda perplexed as to what I'm supposed to do with it. It sounds so, well, synthesized.

Does Califone ever use a synth? Isn't that a synth that starts off Baba O'Reilly by the Who? Anybody know some cool songs that use a synth?
I can't say I've ever paid much attention to synths 'till now. Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Thanks
tideeyed
Wingbone

Unread postby clavastudio » Thu May 31, 2007 7:59 pm

The only "proper" synth in the studio right now is a Roland Juno 6, which is a polyphonic analog synth. Sometimes that's been used on Califone sessions. Couldn't really point to any song in particular. There's also the mighty Sherman Filterbank, which is a dual oscillator analog synth. No keys on that, just some knobs. It's a hyped up, glorified EQ sorta thing that takes pre-recorded sounds and totally messes them up. If it sounds a bit like a drum, but made out of some alien material, and it has a strange decay to the sound, it's probably been through the Filterbank at some point.

Nord makes great instruments. The Nord Electro comes as close as I've heard to accurately imitating classic analog keyboards like the Rhodes 73, Wurlitzer 200, and Hammond tone wheel organs. We have original versions of those in the studio so we don't need the fake sounds. Last time I counted there were 15 different keyboard instruments in the studio, all of them original oldies. If you hear a Hammond organ sound on a Califone track, it's a REAL Hammond.

I've heard the Nord Leads are cool, but I suspect that they're more useful if you know how to play keys. Mostly they make cool, controlable noises, that a skilled user could probably make sound a little like strings or horns, or maybe even exploding expectations. You want snyth examples, just listen to some Pink Floyd or Yes...
"how was that take?"

"it sucked...c'mon in..."
clavastudio
Wingbone

Unread postby BandyLou » Thu May 31, 2007 9:44 pm

There's some conflicting information around, but it seems that Baba may have been a Lowrey (or maybe a Yamaha) organ, maybe filtered thru a synth... although "Who's Next" has some sweet synthesizer work on it.

Wikipedia: "...the 'synthesizer' part was actually created using special arpeggio effects on a Lowrey home organ."

and a more detailed explanation from http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/4608/0/
by way of thewho.net
"Equipment used: Lowrey Berkshire Deluxe TBO-1 organ from 1968...Pete is using a setting called “marimba repeat.”
etc.

okay, enough Who nerdiness...

other cool synth songs - The Cars. Ween "The Mollusk" album. Stevie Wonder "Innervisions". Grandaddy.
BandyLou
The Cutter

Return to Fingers in the spokes