Jim Becker - Interkosmos

Red Red Meat, Loftus and other musical synthesis. Six degrees of Califone.

Jim Becker - Interkosmos

Unread postby mike » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:26 pm

In my recent travels I stumbled upon a soundtrack LP by Becker on the same label that released the Sin Ropas picture disc. While by no means is the record new, it is still new to me so I thought I post about it for all the others out there who had not heard of it. Don't expect Califone sounds when you pop it on your turntable, but that shouldn't discourage. Be sure to check out the drum duet with Jim and Joe. And the fuzzed out psych rock opener makes it all worth it.

Here's the blurb from the label http://shrugrecords.com/releases.html:
INTERKOSMOS The Soundtrack
The music for Jim Finn's "shoe-string sci-fi" was created by Jim Becker and Colleen Burke with additional drum parts by Jim White and additional vocals by Jiha Lee. Besides writing and touring with his band Califone, Jim Becker most recently has toured with the bands Freakwater and the Dirty Three. As well as playing piano in the band We Ragazzi, Colleen Burke recently toured with Smog and is currently collaborating with filmmaker Eve Sussman to develop a musical film in Miami. Jiha Lee has sang and played flute with Bright Eyes and The Good Life. Dirty Three drummer Jim White has toured and recorded with Cat Power, Nick Cave, Will Oldham and recently played percussion on the score of Nick Cave's film The Proposition. The limited of run of 500 180g pink vinyl is hugged by a cleverly crafted jacket designed by Dexterity Press.

"Awesome soundtrack to some strange low budget film about the failed East German space program. Haven't seen the movie yet, but the soundtrack definitely has us curious. Especially considering the players, Jim Becker of Califone, Jim White from the Dirty Three, and lots of other folks who have backed up indie luminaries like Smog, Bright Eyes and more...
Beginning with some creepy shortwave radio, and some spoken German (Conet Project anyone?) the record quickly switches gear and launches into some awesome (Turkish style?) fuzz psych, blown out and wildly rocking, but with the strange addition of mandolin over the top. Ends up sounding like Calexico meets Erkin Koray!!
But like any soundtrack, the music is dictated by the scenes on the screen, so the sound are all over the place. That said, they gel surprisingly well on their own, it helps that many of the tracks are linked by strange radio broadcasts, mysterious German voices, and other distressed broadcast sounds. The rest of the music is a blast, from soft rock big band jams with horns, albeit imbued with a strange buzzy steel string element, to lonesome strings and wheezing accordion, shuffling percussion, a full on free-jazz drum solo that gives way to a primitive Logan's Run space rock synth drone, laid back blues rock, weird off kilter pop, and near the end, that opening blast of fuzzy psych gets revisited, this time with vocals, and it's even cooler.
Pressed on 180 gram swirled pink cotton candy vinyl, housed in an amazing jacket, an oversized matchbook style sleeve, screen printed and letter pressed, black and metallic silver ink on thick brown paper, liner notes printed on the attached inner sleeve, quite striking."-aquarius records
mike
On the Steeple with the Shakes

Re: Jim Becker - Interkosmos

Unread postby owl » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:50 am

Yeah, I have that thing. It's also has some of the most beautiful LP packaging I've ever seen. Shrug is good for that.

Sin Ropas has another really nice LP by Shrug in their online store (disclaimer: I ship the LPs for them).

http://sinropas.com/store
Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage. — Edward Abbey

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Return to Fingers in the spokes