RRM - back for a limited time only?

Red Red Meat, Loftus and other musical synthesis. Six degrees of Califone.

Re: RRM - back for a limited time only?

Unread postby aricher » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:03 pm

I recorded the show last night and will be posting the unedited file shortly, hang tight. What a great night!
aricher
Sawtooth

Unread postby zoosleuth » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:47 pm

aricher, simply put.....

....you rule
zoosleuth
Wingbone

Unread postby braindead » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:09 pm

Rather than post a song by song review, what I will do is just give some of my impressions taken from notes that I took before and during the show. Hope you enjoy...Also a question. I would like to post a few photos, including a poster promoting the show, but I'm not sure how to do so. Also, is it appropriate to post a couple of photos of RRM playing? I would be happy to send them in a private message to Owl or whomever to decide if that's the thing to do.

First, the Hideout is a great place to see a show. I arrived about 7:30, just as a major storm was moving into the city. Luckily, the Hideout is in an industrial part of the city and there were some good spaces right outside, which I found to be a good sign of things to come.

Nicholas Tremulis was playing an acoustic show at the front part of the building...he's great, funny and after he finished he came out into the audience and gave a lot of us hugs and thanked us for coming...Very enjoyable!

Jim Becker played a 30-40 minute set-confident, rocking and introspective all at the same time. His band was excellent and we spoke with Sam Wagster, a young guitarist who played with the band. He's a great young guy and was very excited to be playing with the band. If you didn't make it to last night's show, check them out on Monday at the Empty Bottle. For this show, Jim Adamik drummed and Ben sat in on percussion.

As mentioned, there was a poster promoting the show which I picked up for $20. Very cool-I will post this as a jpeg if the parties that be say it's ok.

My friend and I made our way to stage left and met Thax Douglas, a well-known Chicago poet who was there to read a poem inspired by the band. He has a myspace.com page if you want to see what he read. He's a very interesting fellow.

Finally, it was time for the guys to begin-they had come out earlier and basically done their own set-up. It was interesting because there was a real mix of oldsters like me and a younger crowd, some who seemed to know who they were and some who didn't.

They begain with Chinese Balls and plowed through 14 songs by my count, the majority from Bunny and Star, including "There's A Star Above The Manger", "Quarter Horses", and "Stained & Lit" among others. They seemed tentative at times, but not in a "I don't know what I'm doing" way, but more of a "This is a real head trip" way. They really did seem to be enjoying themselves. At one point they all looked at each other and laughed/smiled as if to say "Yeah, this is still fun!"

At about the halfway point in the show,they stomped into "Idiot Son", with Brian and Ben launching a blistering beat to begin. At one point in "Idiot" I believe, Ben reached over and playd Brian's hi-hat and they both had a laugh over that.

Around this time, Tim asked if anyone had any requests and one woman shouted "Sister Flossy" and Tim replied, "Mr. Furley?", acting confused and laughing. Somebody else yelled "Bite Me" and Tim good-naturedly yelled the same thing back and the band launched into a really rousing version of "Rosewood,etc." Ben at times during this tune was playing a large, industrial sized metal cylinder,(I know what I want to call it but can't remember) plus a huge kerosene/gas can. At one point in one of the later songs, Ben was playing so hard a mallet tip off of one of his sticks flew onto the stage and my friend grabbed it and handed it to me after the song.

Tim thanked the crowd and they played "Comes" one of the few off "Jimmy", walked off the stage, came right back on, had a false start having something to do with Hurley which they all laughed about, then rocked through "Chain, Chain, Chain", "Quarter Horses" and ended with "Oxtail". Again, thanks to the crowd, Tim put his glasses on and we realized they really were finished.

What a great show it was, and I will say that things got a little fuzzy due to some nice cold beer, a sea of sound and a sweltering crowd, so if you were there and see something I was wrong about, feel free to correct it.

Also want to say that both Tim's stopped at the front bar and spoke with friends, etc. I tapped Tim R. on the shoulder and said "Great Show!" and he thanked me.

I also have to say a special shoutout to the people who work at the Hideout. What a great bunch of folks, especially Marci, who, after approximately an hour and a half from my last drink order, and the first time we'd ever met, remembered my exact order for me and my friend right down to the lime he wanted on his can on OldStyle and served it up after the show. When I expressed my utter amazement, she said "I'm a professional!" She is and they are.

Final thought about the night. Great vibe throughtout, great people all around, Nicholas Tremulis is Tremendulis, Jim Becker and band are definitely worth a special trip and Red Red Meat should never go away. They still have it...

braindead
Last edited by braindead on Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
braindead
Heron King

Unread postby owl » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:53 pm

Awesome, Braindead. Thanks for posting. And looking forward to hearing that recording, Aricher!!
Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage. — Edward Abbey

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Unread postby braindead » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:28 pm

[img]/Users/davidhall/Desktop/071008-HIDEOUT.jpg[/img]
braindead
Heron King

Unread postby ho » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:29 pm

Wrong, do it again!
ho
On the Steeple with the Shakes

Unread postby braindead » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:31 pm

I'm working on a Mac, what's the actual procedure?
braindead
Heron King

Unread postby owl » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:31 pm

braindead wrote:[img]/Users/davidhall/Desktop/071008-HIDEOUT.jpg[/img]

You'd have to upload it to a photo sharing site like Picasa--you can't host it from your PC. :)

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Unread postby owl » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:33 pm

So it would look like this:

Code: Select all
[img]http://picasa.com/1293/623091473_8034481876_d.jpg[/img]

You were doing it right, the photo just has to be in the Internets.

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Unread postby braindead » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:38 pm

Thanks Owl, I had read your reply but thought I would try anyway. Ho, thanks I will take you up on your offer and send you a few via regular email and you can decide what's worthy. You should have them in a few minutes, in the interest of getting these up soon for those who want to see them.
braindead
braindead
Heron King

Unread postby nat » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:41 pm

The show was great - can't wait to hear the recording. Hopefully the perishable/clava guys ended up recording it, too.

Nice review, Braindead. A couple of notes - they didn't play Carpet of Horses (though I would have loved it if they had), and they ended with Oxtail, not Qtr. Horses.
nat
Heron King

Unread postby braindead » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:55 pm

I stand corrected and I will go back and fix my post. They didn't play Carpet, (bad notes on my part) and the encore was Chain, Quarter Horses and Oxtail. Thanks for the correction....
braindead
Heron King

Unread postby ho » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:35 am

Pics from Braindead:
These were taken with a 2 mega pixel phone cam

Advert for the show:
http://vuduvgn.com/Other/RRM%20Poster%20MOD.jpg

Pre-Show Setup:
http://vuduvgn.com/Other/Pre-Show%20Setup%20MOD.jpg

Percussive Dynamic Duo:
http://vuduvgn.com/Other/Percussive%20D ... %20MOD.jpg

A Quieter Moment:
http://vuduvgn.com/Other/A%20Quieter%20Moment%20MOD.jpg

The Meat Returns:
http://vuduvgn.com/Other/The%20Meat%20Returns%20MOD.jpg

Thanks to Braindead!

(it's not liking me embedding the images, ur gonna have to click the links.
ho

Unread postby tarheel » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:47 am

Thanks for the reviews everyone -- sounds like a great night.
tarheel
Cheater

Unread postby hanwaker » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:34 am

i do not want to unwrap the present but have a look !

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=204856
we are not used to people likeing what we do
(t. r. 3-21-04)
hanwaker

Unread postby zoosleuth » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:18 pm

Is there a tracker for that torrent somewhere else? I can't sign up for that site because it seems to always be full.
zoosleuth
Wingbone

Unread postby hanwaker » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:11 pm

well if you wait a couple of days i am sure we can see on the owl and the bear.. it just depends on when owl does seethis i guess... and you should try to register on dime in like 5 min intervalls... every 10 min the tracker deletes inactive accounts so if you there in the 11th minute you have a huge chance to register
(t. r. 3-21-04)
hanwaker

Unread postby nat » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:19 pm

What is considered "inactive" on dime? I just tried to log in and found mine deleted.
nat
Heron King

Unread postby stainednlit » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:43 pm

So, my brother and I flew from Buffalo to Chicago to see this show. A lot of people though we were crazy, but it was well worth it. After a little
but of a hard time finding the place and a confused taxi driver, we finally found the Hideout. We've seen RRM 3 times and Califone 4 times, but this one holds a special place. The Hideout crowd was very relaxed and friendly. I had a dream set list all prepared. What followed was just awesome. Here is what I entered in my phone as the show proceeded...

I think the order is right...

1. Chinese Balls
2. All Tied
3. Stained and Lit
4. Gauze - Awesome!
5. Airstream Driver
6. Star Above the Manger
7. Paul Pachal
8. Rosewood, Wax, Voltz, Glitter
9. Sulfer
10. Comes
11. Chain, Chain, Chain
12. Quarter Horses
13. Oxtail

And i'm pretty sure Braindead was in there, but not sure of where in the order.....maybe after Airstream Driver

Highlights for me were Gauze, Stained and Lit, Sulfer, Comes, Quarter Horses, and Oxtail.

If there were any doubts about dropping the money we did for airfare, taxifare, food, hotel, etc.. it all melted away when they hit the first note!
Tim actually recognized us from their shows in Buffalo....mainly because we were 2 in a crowd of twenty......and easily the tallest.

Great Show!
Last edited by stainednlit on Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
stainednlit
Sawtooth

Unread postby stainednlit » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:08 pm

Two more things....

1. The bar gave my brother and I the two posters that were on sale last night off their wall as a gift for making the effort to travel from Buffalo.
These were lost at the airport and we were very disappointed.

We were wondering if anyone knew how we could purchase 2 more if it's possible???

2. While getting our picture with Ben and Tim Hurley we had mentioned that the reason we made the trip was that we weren't sure if we would ever see them again. They looked at each other and kind of laughed, hinting that might not be the case. Hurley informed us that wihle practicing for the gig that they had worked on a new song! Not sure what this means if anything, but we took as maybe a new album was in the works?! Possibilities? High Hoping? Who knows, but it would be amazing.
stainednlit
Sawtooth

Unread postby nat » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:15 pm

stainednlit, your best bet for getting a poster would probably be here: http://rootcrownarts.blogspot.com/
nat
Heron King

Unread postby owl » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:17 pm

That is a sweet poster.

I did download the show, so don't worry if you can't get into Dime.

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Unread postby hanwaker » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:20 pm

the poster artist is gina kelly who has done work or califone before.. i do not want to point out her relationship to califone but if you follow this link you will find a link to contact her.. i guess she has it for sale and btw there is a better reproduction of the poster to be seen under this link
http://www.gigposters.com/poster/99592_Red_Red_Meat.html

i once bought posters from her and she is easy going !
(t. r. 3-21-04)
hanwaker

Unread postby aricher » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:25 am

I am downloading the dime recording now. Looks impressive from the description. Mine might be a bit primitive in comparison but it sounds excellent to me. Anyone here have an easy way for me to post the recording I made? My server is down and I'd love to share. Anyone have suggestions on where I can post (for free) a 769.7 MB file for download? If not, no big deal, I'll post it this week when my server is back up.

Weird RRM related weekend. Clearing some stuff out of my storage today I came across an old folder with a bunch of vintage press clippings from the early 90s -old RRM, Tortoise, etc. - I'll scan them when I get some time. Also came across a roll of negatives of some photos I shot of RRM at Empty Bottle in early July 1994. Cool archival stuff I need to scan soon.

My recording:

The whole recording is 76.15 in length with some long stretches between songs for tunings, banter, etc. Thax Douglas also adds a nice intro to the show.

For those who care here's how the show was recorded:

Position: center of floor about 15 feet back from the stage.
Recorder: Olympus LS-10 Linear PCM Recorder
Rec Mode: 44.1 kHz/16-bit
Rec Level: Auto
Mic Sense: Low
Low Cut Filter: Off
Zoom Mic: Off

Set List:
1. Chinese Balls
2. All tied
3. Stained & Lit
4. Braindead
5. Star Above the Manger
6. Gauze
7. Idiot son
8. Airstream Driver
9. Rosewood, Wax, Voltz, Glitter
10. Sulfur
11. Comes
12. Chain, Chain, Chain
13. Quarterhorses
14. Oxtail
Wherever you go... there you are.
aricher
Sawtooth

Unread postby clavastudio » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:10 pm

There were several people recording the show. Tim & Co. requested that the studio NOT make the effort to do a full on recording. Given the way the night and the storms early went, there wouldn't have been enought time to set up the rig.

It was a really good show. Mr. Becker's live show continues to amaze me. There's a record of that material coming...it's super good...

I don't think the men in RRM know what is happening beyond getting through this weekend. I know they had some fun getting ready. Thanks to everyone for supporting the show!
"how was that take?"

"it sucked...c'mon in..."
clavastudio
Wingbone

PreviousNext

Return to Fingers in the spokes