wow...

Red Red Meat, Loftus and other musical synthesis. Six degrees of Califone.

wow...

Unread postby kevin g » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:32 am

...you guys know way more about red red meat than i, and my dad was in the band.

cripes.
kevin g

Unread postby pshp » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:37 pm

your post was funny

howdy, kevin. could i guess that your dad is glenn?

lots and lots of us were blown away during the days of rrm, hence the need to collect every last morsel of sound and sight from that brilliant insanity.

music fanatics are a special breed of geek, aren't they? :roll: :D
pshp
Admin

Unread postby kevin g » Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:54 am

hah... i hope you don't think i was making fun. i'm just saying, there's a lot of info. not as much on RMM though...

good to see a fansite for them online though.

are you based out of chicago?
kevin g

Unread postby ho » Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:12 pm

I'll reply for PSHP since she is out of town for the weekend getting some much deserved sunshine and other neccessaries... The person, PSHP, who created the website is out of New York state.

The members of this board are from all over the world. I, myself, live in California but lived in New Mexico when I learned of RRM.

Yea, there is more Califone stuff here than RRM. I personally would love to get more info on RRM. The former members, what they are upto, some unreleased music, etc. Maybe someday, or some of us can add some tidbits...
ho
On the Steeple with the Shakes

Unread postby pshp » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:21 pm

thanks ho. you can speak for me any day.

back from san diego and here i am, looking out at the snow covered buffalo world again. oh sure it's pretty, but have you touched it? it burns! i felt like linda blair in the exorcist when i got back to the airport and had to brush off a foot of snow from my car. every time the snow touched my skin, my head did a 360, i swear.

anyhoo...i do hope to add more rrm content in the future. a stellar gentleman and all around wonderful person (who shall remain nameless) has much to offer in terms of the meat archives. his life is crazy and my life is crazy and we are both kinda crazy, so who knows when it will all come together...but i think it will.

if anyone has rrm contributions that they'd care to offer, by all means, feel free to email me.

and kevin? nah...i didn't think you were making fun at all. not in the slightest.
pshp
Admin

Unread postby bubbles » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:56 pm

are the members of califone the same people as were in red red meat? i must confess, i never heard of red red meat before i visited this site. sorry if thats a dorky question.
bubbles

Unread postby squirrel » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:38 am

some.
welcome.
squirrel

Unread postby kevin g » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:48 pm

red red meat started out as a band called friends of betty. after playing out a bit, they changed their name to red red meat.

the original red red meat was :

tim rutili ( vox and guitar )
glynis johnson ( bass )
glenn girard ( guitar )
brian deck ( percussion )

later, glynis died of AIDS and was replaced with tim hurley. in 1995, my dad glenn left the group over differences with tim rutili. ( and the rest of the band, i suppose. ) he had already recorded some of bunny gets paid, but they just scrapped his parts, and brought in ben massarella as additional percussion. after making two (bad) albums, tim desolved RRM and just went on with califone, which originally consisted of everyone left over from RRM.

i have to admit, i haven't listened to a whole califone album due to the fact that my dad and tim no longer speak, but i HAVE listened to a couple of tracks, and i wasn't really impressed. i DID dig ugly cassanova though.

i could help out with red red meat facts if you want. i don't know much, but i could always ask my father...
kevin g

Unread postby ho » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:31 pm

Jimmywine Majestic was my introduction to RRM. Still my favorite RRM album. I've listened to that thing sooooo many times. It's an old friend.

What has Glenn been doing since he was in RRM? Does he still play music? Live in Chicago? etc?

Curious as to what Brian Deck is doing now, since he left the studio. I saw him playin drums for Ugly Casanova a year or so ago. Damn, what's he up to now?

How about Loftus?

Roll Call!
ho

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:51 pm

Yes, I would like answers to those questions, as well.

Unread postby owl » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:51 pm

Anonymous wrote:Yes, I would like answers to those questions, as well.

That was...um err uhh...me.
Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage. — Edward Abbey

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Unread postby pshp » Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:35 pm

i dunno. i'm in the intermediate stages of alzheimer's and the advanced stages of tourette's. i might have the answers, but i goddamfuckingwell forgot them all.
pshp
Admin

Unread postby kevin g » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:10 pm

umm... ok.

dad does still live in chicago. he's still playing, and is going to start a solo album soon.

brian deck is producing now. he actually produced modest mouse's major label debut the moon and antarctica.

i have no idea what is going on with loftus.

jimmywine majestic IS indeed the best red red meat album. i love it so much. i think it was everyone at their best. the first album was great too though... especially since it had glynis on it.
kevin g

...and another thing

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:25 pm

bd's @ Enginestudios, last I heard. Moon over Antartica was done @ Clavastudios; which was built to record it, in fact. bd did Ugly cassanova @ engine and at Isaac's place, i think. not sure what he's (bd) up to these days. rutili had a hand in writing some of the UC song's, as well.
never saw FoB, except a video of them playing somewhere in Europe.
I thought the line-up had more people in it or at least that it wasn't just the
4 people mentioned earlier. Ben M. was either part of FoB at one time or original member of RRM, either way he had something to with both bands. Also, Glen G & Tim Hurley were the two tallest people I ever saw on stage at one time.

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:39 pm

Bunny IS and always will be my favorite RRM album

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:11 pm

I have to agree that Bunny Gets Paid is the strongest RRM album. Go to show what a little home made absynthe will do for the recording process. I've also understood that Benny was an original RRM member and has been playing with Tim since well before RRM. I guess I could be wrong though.

Unread postby kevin g » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:56 pm

youre right about friends of betty, i just don't know the names of EVERYONE tht was in the band prior to my dad joining. he wasn't an original member, so he never played with ben. my dad was in a band called the crows until he met up with tim.

ben masarella was never in red red meat prior to bunny gets paid though.

everyone is entitled to their opinion, but i will always feel that jimmywine majestic was their best album. i've never liked bunny gets paid or star above the manger, and not just because they were after my dad's departure. i just feel the first two albums were the stronger ones.

Also, Glen G & Tim Hurley were the two tallest people I ever saw on stage at one time.

haha... so true.

kevin g

Unread postby airstreamdriver » Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:34 am

kevin g wrote:youre right about friends of betty, i just don't know the names of EVERYONE tht was in the band prior to my dad joining. he wasn't an original member, so he never played with ben [...] ben masarella was never in red red meat prior to bunny gets paid though.

sorry kevin, but that's not true. the first time i saw friends of betty it was a couple weeks after glen joined; the lineup was tim, ben, glynis and glen and i have the videotape to prove it. shortly afterwards the band was rechristened red red meat and deck took over benny's perch. you'd have to ask ben if he actually played any early rrm gigs (i can't remember for certain, it was a hazy time) but he does play on four songs on the first cd.
airstreamdriver
Wingbone

Unread postby kevin g » Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:53 pm

well, i was between the ages of 8-10 at the time, so i'm going off of what my dad tells me.

perhaps ben recorded tracks for the first RRM album, but was never really in the band. i'm pretty sure my father said he never worked with ben, but i may well be mistaken.

i'll just ask my da and see what the deal is.
kevin g

Unread postby pshp » Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:46 pm

RRM in all its various shades and forms gave us some great music. many people contributed over the years. in the foreground. in the background. on the sidelines. over by the bleechers.

the music still stands up and that's all that matters to me when i pop any one of those CD's into my stereo.

the RRM videos were super freaky cool too :wink:
pshp
Admin

Unread postby kevin g » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:11 pm

ok... here's the origin of red red meat directly from my dad.

FOB was originally tim rutili, glynis, and blackie onassis. after playing out for a while, blackie quit FOB to join urge overkill. tim and glynis kept playing, but had no drummer. they did a show in 89 in chicago that my dad's post-crows project, glow worm, opened for. glynis and my dad hit it off right away and dad ended up hooking up with FOB. in need of a drummer, tim turned to ben masserella, whom he had been friends with for a while, to round out the band. thus, Friends of Betty had a new incarnation.

tim and glynis already agreed to some shows in europe in late 89/early 90, so the band geared up and started getting ready for a euro tour. around this time ben's mom was diagnosed with cancer, and he couldn't go on the tour. left with no drummer again, the band turned to joe page from the hollowmen to fill in on drums in europe.

after returning from europe in march 1990, the band started recording regularly with brad wood at idful studios. they brought in ben again since they couldn't find another drummer. they also got jimmy chamberlain to come in and play drums(before he joined smashing pumpkins actually. he could have been the drummer for RRM, but billy corgan nabbed him.) another drummer that recorded with them was brian deck, who worked at idful at the time. brian was working full time at idful, and playing in a band called starboy in his off time. one day tim went up to brian and asked why the hell he was playing in a crap band like starboy, which really pissed off brian. after telling tim off and refusing to work with him anymore, brad wood actually told brian that he should quit idful, quit starboy, and join friends of betty because they are going places. brian did just that, tim dropped ben, and the band that would be red red meat was formed.

after recording a bunch of tracks they realized they should probably change the band name since FOB was known around chicago and this band had obviously evolved from the FOB sound. one night tim, glynis, and dad were chillin at their place and dad was reading a local indie zine that had a review of FOB playing "peacefest" (a rock festival for a bunch of hippie-types) from before he joined the band. turns out since they knew there were going to be a bunch of tree huggin, vegetarian hippie types in the audience, FOB figured they would do the really punk rock thing and scrawl things like "EAT MORE RED MEAT" or "MMM MEAT IS GOOD" on their shirts with little pictures of cows or something. one of the lines the guy wrote in the review was "what... is the next FOB album going to be called 'red meat for the masses'?". dad jokingly said THAT should be the band name, and glynis and tim laughed it off and said it was too long and goofy. dad remained fixated on this and said, "but yeah... that's a good name. like RED MEAT... RED, RED MEAT..." to which glynis said "THAT'S IT!", and thus the band was named. after that they released the single for hot nikkety trunk monkey themsleves on perishible records (which they created to put out their music).

i WAS mistaken about a lot of things. you'll have to excuse my ignorance, but i didn't really see dad much when i was a kid. i only met glynis a few times before she died, and dad toured a lot with RRM until he quit.

if anyone cares, i can fill you in on more later. i just wanted to clear up the story i posted before.

keen.
kevin g

Unread postby Regina » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:16 pm

hey thanks for the history lesson - was always wondering how this whole crazy thing got started and now we know - well i'm not sure about that kid in the corner but he's always been a little strange. ever since he put that finger up there, waving it around like he just don't care. and we all said "careful boy" but he didn't listen, did he? no he didn't. but we did and lookit us now.
Regina

Unread postby ho » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:50 pm

Thanks for the history lesson, Kevin. That was much appreciated.
ho

Unread postby tom kha gai » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:25 pm

my only remaining question is who will be chosen to read this saga as a voiceover on the comprehensive DVD?

i'll cast my vote for frank gorshin.
tom kha gai

Unread postby marmoset » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:17 pm

i'd like it to be narrated by Fran Drescher...that Nanny lady with the machine gun laugh
marmoset
Sawtooth

Next

Return to Fingers in the spokes