RARE TRACKS -a califone compilation.

Setlists, show reviews, live downloads, and old-fashioned bootleg trading.

RARE TRACKS -a califone compilation.

Unread postby hanwaker » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:04 pm

well i feel like the only one doing anything related to califone on this board .. but i am not to give up hope that others c/w-ould chime in..

over the last year i have compiled a list ( and a cdr) of rare red red meat and califone songs.. you know the ones that get away on compilations soundtracks and cdr added to magazines and books..
the list is quite impressive i feel..
as i do not want to spread any legally obtainable music on this board you would PM me if you have more than an interest in knowing what circulates..
the want list at the end is my main reason for posting this . i would love to see people telling me they have any of the wanted items.
furthermore if you have additions to the list they are more than welcomed. i do not declare this to be complete....

EDIT: i will edit below list once in a while to add the info from below comments.. i know that makes reading the comment section a bit surplus but keeps newcomers up-to-date.. of course new additions will not keep up with a chronological order

RedRedMeat

01 intro 7" transfer from single Perishable August 1, 1993
02 make you gone----fromHey Drag City!Drag City1994
03 i 'm not in love (10cc cover)- Pravda Records_Star Power!1995 mp3 dl

--------------------------------------------------------------------
califone
04 welcome christmas---Happy HolidaysPerishable Records2001
05 south of heaven.(w/ Modest Mouse)..( slayer cover)I Love MetalTriple CrownNovember 26, 1999
06 silver+gold --- xmas single Happy HolidaysPerishable Records2001
07 chuck ol hen ---- After Hours #15After Hours Fanzine Winter 2001-2002
08 slower twins ---goodfellas sampler Blow Up magzine (Italy), 2002
09 mittens-- the new years resolutions Hup! Records (Italy)2002
10 michigan girls ( live)Various Artists - Badman Recording Co._Shanti Project_ Collection
11 ventilator blues -- amos house collection 2003
12 slowness --w OrS0 homesleep singles EP 2003
13 Ro--w OrS0 homesleep singles EP 2003
14 wednesday--w OrS0 homesleep singles EP 2003
15 the stereo--- a rutili mix downloaded on emusic *6
16 walk on gilded splinters ( from jap iss of HKB- )
17 dreamless ( original version of 3 legged A. from soundtrack THE LOST-- stream on web page)2006 *5
18 latter (e-music exclusive additional song from Roots + Crowns/also on soundtrack for HBO documentary The Trials Of Darryl Hunt )2004
19 the orchids diff mix ( as upped on my space page) 2007
20 nobody wins- rebecca gates-backed by califone from k kristofferson tribute
21 borderlord-from k kristofferson tribute

3rd edit 2008-02-04

22 RRM‘Sad Peter Pan’ (w/ S. Pumpkins) Sweet Relief II:The Gravity Of The Situation:Benefit For Vic Chesnutt 1996
23 gallows pole Tim Rutili + Sally Timms,Rebecca Gates,Jo Walston & Jon LangfordThe Executioner's Last Songs,Vol.2
24 joe brown (Real fun -book attached cd)**2
25 Long Shadow, USA: Wheat Vs. Tim Rutili’ (Wheat w/ Tim Rutili) from amos house collection 2003
26 RRM‘Southern Accents’-You Got Lucky:A Tribute To Tom PettyBackyard Records1994
27 wade in the water diff from official released version Yeti One compilation
28 electric fence --from persihable promo sampler Diff version (best version!)
29 O, It is For My Love,(J.Joyce's poem) Fire Records' Chamber Music collection *3
30 RRM"Listening Now" from Polara's debut album *4
31 jewel------ from plum 7" box
4th. edit 2008-06-16
32 andrew jackson --- califone-Of Great and Mortal Men-43 Songs About 43 U.S.Presidencies-(2006) *8
33 brent green + califone--hadacol xmas (from the my space holiday compilation vol 1) ( 2007). 11+ min
34 RRM-- milk for the mechanics split single *7
5th edit 2008-07-07
35 RRM --Northern Soul --Snapshot Radio, Lois MaffeoK Records, 1995 *1
36 Pastry Sharp’ (Live)Stuck On AM:Live 770 Radio KNo Alternative Records1999
37 RRM - N.O. Style- Snapshot Radio, Lois MaffeoK Records, 1995 *1

collaborations and guest spots
ct01 bevel
ct01 buck 65 drunk without drinking ( from secret house against the world) tim rutili adds vocals

THE RED RED MEAT and TIM RUTILI DEMOS

as posted on soulseek in 2008
mp3 @ 192

01- bathwater.
02- dime store fangs and dirty wings
03- horse sized pill no drums
04- horse sized pill
05- june rat
06- kizzy my dear
07- milk for the mechanics
08- mule down eisenhower at dawn
09- pastry sharp
10- sex lives of the saints
11- sharp as pastry
12- silvermine pictures livonia mix
13- silvermine pictures 4 track
14- slow right hand
15- when the snake handler slips

covers

01-cover- Polara "Carpet Of Horses" Red Red Meat "Bunny Gets Paid"split single
02-cover-Sea and Cake --spiders house-- from plum 7" box
03-cover-number one cup-the tongue of 2 A.M-from split single (see t34 --*7)
04-cover- roommate-quarter-horses-b-slow-

wanted

RRM ‘Disco Heathen’ Free CD w/ Chemical Imbalance #9 magazine, 1994
RRM 'Wishing (if I had a photograph of you)"Flock of Seagull cover on the flipside of Oxtail promo 7"
RRM 'Gauze' on Idiot Son 7" is different from the Bunny Gets Paid version.

*1Lois Snapshot Radio EP. Engineers Steve Wold, Calvin Johnson tracks 1, 3; Brian Deck tracks 2, 4; Josh Gennet track 5. Locks vocals, percussion; Alan Sparhawk vocals; Tim Rutili electric guitar, piano; Brendan Canty electric guitar, organ; Tim Hurley electric guitar, xylophone, bass, percussion; Steve Wold harmonica; Brian Deck keyboards, drums, percussion; James McNew synthesizer; Ben Massarella drums, ...

**2Ashod Simonian's absolutely gorgeous new book, Real Fun: Polaroids from the Independent Music Landscape. The book is loaded with dreamy and vibrant images of artists such as Cat Power, Broken Social Scene, the Polyphonic Spree, Pavement, Elliott Smith, and the list goes on. Real Fun also comes with an 18-song CD featuring exclusive songs from some of the bands featured in the book: Califone, Radar Bros., Jason Lytle (ex-Grandaddy), Sleeping States, and more, including this song from Norfolk & Western, featuring M. Ward on guitar

also available on the label's sampler Children Are Fascinated By Fire, Vol. 1(promo only?)

Red Red Meat & Polara
This record stems from a basic premise conceived during a trip to the men's washroom. While on tour Tim R from Red Red Meat and Ed A from Polara ran into each other and a challenge was issued. "We can do your songs!" "Oh yeah! Well we can do your songs!" Cool! It was like two bruisers lookin' for a milksop to pick on. It got nastier then a hot foot. Red Red Meat laid down their version of "Listening Now" from Polara's debut album. Then came Polara kickin' through the heart of glass on "Carpet Of Horses" from Red Red Meat's latest album "Bunny Gets Paid". The good lord won. This is one hell of a record. Buy it now, because they won't last long.
dual a-sided split 7" single : G-25

TIM explains, “that song started out as a song called ‘Dreamless’ for the end credits of The Lost. The last scene in the film is a total bloodbath; after that it seemed like the film could use a little sweetness, a bit of salvation for these dark, misfit characters after a period of intense violence. We re-recorded it with Califone and took a more detailed approach, both lyrically and instrumentally. Where the first version felt more about balancing the mood of the film, the one from the album feels more about hope and joy, rebirth, survival and self-acceptance.”

These two Sun remixes are polar opposites in both style and length; however, each serves it purpose well.
On "The Stereo," Califone takes a hold of non-album track, and extends the hell out of it. Chris' vocals play hide and seek all song - dropping under a fury of guitars for minutes at a time. The middle five minutes, leave the listener lost, but happy. It exists as a tunnel that connects the opening and closing melodies. On the way into the tunnel, everything is calm and collected - the vocals crisp and quick paced. However, once through the darkness, a unraveled vocal melody soon spirals into background screams.

from the liner notes single on flydaddy FLY 019
recorded by b deck at idful
this split single is the beginning of an open-ended project.RRM and Number One Cup each started with the same recording of a distorted cowbell and built a song from that sonic foundation. others are encouraged to participate....

Califone, Sparhawk, Kozelek Help Do Presidential Songs
As do Wooden Wand, Charalambides' Tom Carter, Rosie Thomas, Denison Witmer

In most journalism circles, one of the biggest stories of the next year will be the 2008 U.S. presidential election, but since Obama, Clinton, and Giuliani have yet to form a shoegaze supergroup, we here at Pitchfork must stick to the Radiohead tour updates, Grizzly Bear collaborations, and indie rock nudity.
Nonetheless, Standard Recording Company has thrown us a bone in the politics department in the form of a three-CD box set tentatively titled Of Great and Mortal Men: 43 Songs About 43 U.S. Presidencies. The set's subject matter is apparent, and its backstory doesn't disappoint.
Christian Kiefer, Matthew Gerken (Nice Monster), and Jefferson Pitcher (ex-Above the Orange Trees) wrote nearly all of Of Great and Mortal Men's songs back in February 2006 as part of February Album Writing Month, a songwriting challenge to write 14 songs in 28 days. They pooled their efforts to pen a song apiece about all of the U.S. presidents (3 x 14 = 42, with the George W. Bush tune arriving later), and they came out of it with a heap of demos.
Then, they fleshed (and are fleshing) the songs out with studio contributions from Califone, Alan Sparhawk (Low), Mark Kozelek (Sun Kil Moon/Red House Painters), Wooden Wand and the Vanishing Voice, Rosie Thomas, Denison Witmer, Marla Hansen (Sufjan Stevens's band), Vince DiFiore (Cake), and Tom Carter (Charalambides), among others.
Kiefer calls the resultant box set "a walk through American history and an inquiry into what makes us Americans as filtered through the lens of our highest public office. There's heartbreak and beauty and criticism and revelation. We're trying to make it work like a big beautiful historical novel."

Of Great and Mortal Men does not yet have a definite release date, but Standard plans to put it out in the summer. The tracklist is here (seriously, it's that simple). Susan Archie is scheduled to design the art for the box itself, and the package will come with 43 cards, each with an image of one of the presidents done by one of 43 different artists.

Finally, Standard will supplement the set with a 44th song, available next November following the election. As soon as the results are official, everyone who bought the box set can go to the label's website and download Mr. or Mrs. 44's song.
Posted by Dave Maher in collaboration, boxset on Mon: 12-03-07

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
notes
1<<<<stranger than fiction 2007 soundtrack contains released version of bottles and bones

2<<<<<91.7 FM KVRX presents... Local Live Volume 8 "It Came from the Basement"

This is a used Various Artists CD, 91.7 FM KVRX Local Live Volume 8. Exclusive On Air performances from University of Texas Austin College Radio. Another in their series of promoting great live Indie and local music. Really cool stuff!
Released in 2003, this Rare CD compilation is a must have for your collection. Similar to the wildly popular and collectible KBCO Studio C CDs out of Boulder, CO, but much more Indie and underground, eclectic artists. Limited Edition. No Reserve!

Tracks are as follows:

Scott H. Biram - Truckdriver
Need New Body - Show Me Your Heart
White Ghost Shivers - Up Jumped the Devil
Maneja Beto - Andentro El Que Sea Cobarde
Single Frame - Clipper Ship
This Microwave World - Emergency! Help
Stars as Eyes - I'm So Bored With What the Teacher...
The Aleph - Twilight Speeds
Dead Meadow - I Love You Too
Echo Base Soundsystem - Niko
Madamimadam - Shine Shoes
why? - Early Whitney
Califone - Michigan Girls ---- as on everybodys mother tour cd
M. Ward - Let's Dance
Knife in the Water - Swallows
Summer Hymns - Feeling in Rafters
Sondre Lerche - You Know So Well

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that KRVX radio compilation has the same recording of "michigan girls" as "everybody's mother vol. 1".---confirmed--just mispelled radio ID on cover KRUX instead ov KRVX

3<<<<<<<<<rank
"The Making of Rank: Bull Sessions" is a behind the scenes look at this unusual IFC documentary about the hazardous sport of bullriding
.http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?titl ... el=2621235

The Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo mix is simple and of the location audio throughout with little enhancement and some interesting new music by The Unseen Hand. Extras include The Unseen Hand: Recording The Music For Rank and Cowtown: Bull Ridging Sessions featurettes, plus a decent feature length audio commentary by the makers.

The accompanying soundtrack is an interesting one, primarily made of up melodic piano playing and what sounds like a classical orchestra. Without viewing the film, the choice of music seems ill-fitting for the content, but somehow it actually works. While there is a bit of the expected country-ish twangs in the opening scenes, the final tune is more carnival oregon grinder than ten-gallon hat. One of the Special Features titled "The Unseen Hand: Recording the Music for Rank" shows that it is indeed a piano score that you are listening to.

Music by The Unseen Hand: featuring Wil Hendricks ( aka billy prince bonnie), Michael Krassner, and Tim Rutili
As for frontman Tim Rutili, he's been making much ado about soundtracking. A bull-riding documentary called Rank was scored by The Unseen Hand, a project made up of Rutili and Lofty Pillars members who, incidentally, also guest on the upcoming Califone record

CONTRIBUTIONS

Seth Kim-Cohen [Between Yelling and Sleep]
Open loops accept the impulsive signals fed into their greedy, repetetive mouths
by the trio of Tim Rutili (Califone, Red Red Meat), Brad Wood (Liz Phair, Shrimpboat,
excessive production work), and Seth Kim-Cohen (the Fire Show, Number One Cup).
In the end, something like Tricky producing Can backing a drunken Marvin Gaye.
Recorded xmas, 2006 at Brad's place in Los Angeles, CA. Mixed and edited over the
subsequent six months by Seth at Organ-Outfit, New Haven, CT.

"What's In California?" (15' 39")

"Zero for Neck" (21' 14")

more contributions

MICHAEL LENZI resplented III
UGLY CASSANOVA Tim sings on a few songs.---------------Was he also with the band when they toured?
REX "C" isn't this with tim ---------------more info welcomed-- see also in thread
BEVEL

FRANKLIN DELANO recommended
--like a smoking gun in front of me--
on File Thirteen Record(2006) + MADCAP COLLECTIVE (2007) ITALY
Franklin Delano: Marcella Riccardi (vocals, guitar, lap steel guitar); Paolo Iocca (vocals, guitar); Stefano Pilia (piano, double bass, bass guitar); Vittoria Burattini (drums, percussion).
Additional personnel:
Tim Rutilli.gtrs piano organ synth
Jim Becker violin gtrs piano
Ben Massarellan perc
brian deck treatment

Black-Eyed Snakes - Rise Up
(Chairkickers)
This is one of those albums that you really want to like. You like the participants (MN rocker and rollers including Alan Sparhawk of Low, and some guest spots by Tim Rutili of Califone). You like the concept (loud, brash, dirty garage rock and punked up blues).

video clips

RRM -braindead + interview-- clip in "out of the loop"
buy here http://www.scrabylon.com/merch.html
see on youtube
Last edited by hanwaker on Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:11 pm, edited 12 times in total.
we are not used to people likeing what we do
(t. r. 3-21-04)
hanwaker
On the Steeple with the Shakes

Unread postby mike » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:30 am

Hey Hanwaker
I don't have any of the stuff on your wanted list, but there are a couple other things that could be added.

Gallow's Pole (I can't remember if this is just Rutili or Califone) - I'd really like to hear this but it requires the purchase of the whole CD even online.
-also-
Red Red Meat covers Flock of Seagull's 'Wishing (if I had a photograph of you)" on the flipside of Oxtail promo 7"
Red Red Meat - Disco Heathens (Free CD w/ Chemical Imbalance magazine (1995ish)

I'm curious about the stereo that you got on emusic. Is it instro? Maybe some of Mr. Rutili's film music?
mike

Unread postby foobario » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:28 am

mike wrote:Red Red Meat covers Flock of Seagull's 'Wishing (if I had a photograph of you)" on the flipside of Oxtail promo 7"

That was SubPop disk SP5000, from 1995. Absolutely brilliant. I ebayed up a copy, but don't currently have a turntable, so no joy on the listening front.
foobario
Sawtooth

Unread postby nat » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:20 am

That's a pretty impressive list. I have most of it, but there are a few I'm missing.

I've got the plum box set & RRM's cover of "Wishing" on vinyl, but at the moment, no way to convert them.

I've also got mp3s of the Wheat/Rutili song, RRM's Sad Peter Pan & Southern Accents & the Real Fun CD.

--

There's also an album called "Phoenician Terrane" by Bevel that features Tim and Michael Krassner on guitar / effects. It's on eMusic and iTunes.
nat
Heron King

Unread postby mike » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:53 pm

What is this Plum boxset you both speak of?
mike

Unread postby mike » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:56 pm

Never mind...I answered my own question. You don't know the answer you can look here http://www.thrilljockey.com/catalog/?id=101588
mike

Unread postby hanwaker » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:40 pm

mike
on which cd can i find GALLOWS POLe and is it the led zep song covered?
( who stole somewhere else!)
(t. r. 3-21-04)
hanwaker

Unread postby nat » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:47 pm

Gallows Pole is Tim with the Pine Valley Cosmonauts from The Executioner's Last Songs Vol. 2 & 3.

That should have been on the list of stuff I have, as well.
nat
Heron King

Unread postby hanwaker » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:31 pm

@nat

could you elaborate on rutilis contribution on that BEVEL album.. does the cd list tracks of his part taking or is he all over the album.. bevels myspace page hosts 3 outtakes from said album wonder who plays on those....
(t. r. 3-21-04)
hanwaker

Unread postby nat » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:09 am

I don't really know the details of the album beyond what is listed in the credits of the eMusic page (a search of emusic for 'rutilli' will take you there), but those are for the album as a whole, not track-specific.
nat
Heron King

Unread postby hanwaker » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:37 am

while going thru some google-flashes
here is another one that could open a second level of califone compilation...CONTRIBUTIONS__

http://www.franklindelano.org/band.php

i wonder if any of the band members are connected with the radio station califone visited twice while gigging in bologna
(t. r. 3-21-04)
hanwaker

Unread postby clavastudio » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:53 pm

The folks in Frankiln Delano are friends of the Perishable/Clava family. The guys met them in Italy and we all keep in some contact for tour support, networking, etc. Mr. Brian Deck mixed one FD record at Clava and recorded and mixed another at Engine Studios and at SOMA Electronic Music here in Chicago.

Good people, the Franklin Delano...
"how was that take?"

"it sucked...c'mon in..."
clavastudio
Wingbone

Unread postby gs » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:49 pm

I've got another stray one...

Califone also contributed an interpretation of James Joyce's poem "O, It is For My Love," to Fire Records' Chamber Music collection. The tune is also available on the label's sampler Children Are Fascinated By Fire, Vol. 1. Excellent track.

http://www.firerecords.com/site/index.p ... 0000000166

Graham
gs
Wingbone

Unread postby fugazi48 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:19 am

great list, thanks.

I would love to find a copy of unedited video of Red Red Meat from the OUT OF THE LOOP documentary.

I would also like the Red Red Meat footage from JBTV. I put in a request. http://www.jbtvonline.com/main.html

As for contributions, I didn't see UGLY CASSANOVA listed, since Tim sang on a few songs. Didn't Tim Appear on the REX "C" album? Love that record.

RED RED MEAT/Number One Cup 7"
fugazi48
Sawtooth

Unread postby hanwaker » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:27 pm

there is a second edit done in the head entry--to reflect most of the comments.. and new want items are listed--
anyone can confirm RRM gauze version on single being different from cd/lp version?
(t. r. 3-21-04)
hanwaker

Unread postby nat » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:54 pm

The version of 'Gauze' on the Idiot Son single is different from the Bunny Gets Paid version.
nat
Heron King

Unread postby hanwaker » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:17 pm

thanks nat..

it now is reflected on my WANT list....
(t. r. 3-21-04)
hanwaker

Unread postby andu » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:29 am

That's an impressive list! Good work man!
andu
Cheater

Califone/Red Red Meat players on REX albums.

Unread postby fugazi48 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:19 am

Ok, I could only find 2 of my REX albums. Of course, not the one with Tim on it.

REX "3" Has Ben Massarella on percussion on tracks 1,3,5,9
Brian Deck on percussion on track3, backing vocals on 1, Fender Rhodes on 3 and 8
produced by Brian Deck
http://www.southern.com/southern/band/REX00/18546.html

REX "C" has Tim Rutilli, Ben Massarella, and Brian Deck on various instruments. See JPG for track #. This album is near perfect, I love it. Amazon.com has samples.

2.Ride Home (Brian)
3.New Son (Ben & Brian)
4.Critella (Tim and Ben)
6.Jubin (Tim, Ben, & Brian)

Thankyou listing including RRM: http://www.southern.com/southern/band/REX00/pics/18532c1L.jpg

Biography http://www.southern.com/southern/band/REX00/biog.html [/url]
fugazi48
Sawtooth

Unread postby ho » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:54 am

When I saw Ugly Casanova in San Francisco, Tim was not there / did not play. I was disappointed, but they played Styrofoam Boots, so I felt better.
ho

Unread postby hanwaker » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:40 pm

below show is available as FLAC from
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=23325

there is no seeder available right now but i could open a window for this one

Ugly Casanova
The Mercury
Austin, TX
July 7th, 2002

Tapers: AUD: Andrew Foglesong
SBD: Marcus Winfree
Mix: MIX: Jason Roth <jroth793@attbi.com>
Source: SBD > D8 + DSM-6S > PA-6LC3(85Hz) > M1
Conversion: AUD: Tascam DA-20mkii(DAT-M) > coax > Delta Dio 2496 > Cool Edit Pro > CDwav > SHN
SBD: Tascam DA-20mkii(DDC-1) > coax > Delta Dio 2496 > Cool Edit Pro >
CDwav > SHN
MIX: both above SHNs > WAV > Cool Edit Pro > SHN
Mix info: mixed w/ Cool Edit Pro
Editing: EQed w/ T-racks (low end and mid range lift)

PRESERVE THE QUALITY
DO NOT ENCODE TO MP3

Disc 1
01. Intro
02. Pacifico
03. Diggin' Hole in the Water
04. Spilled Milk Factory
05. Cat Faces
06. Smoke Like Ribbons
07. Parasites
08. Baby Clean Conscience
09. Hotcha Girls
10. Things I Don't Remember
11. Diamonds On The Face of Evil
12. Ice on the Sheets
Encore:
13. Barnacles
14. Styrofoam Boots / It's All Nice On Ice, Alright [Modest Mouse]

FREE TRADE
PRESERVE THE QUALITY
DO NOT ENCODE TO MP3
(t. r. 3-21-04)
hanwaker

Re: RARE TRACKS -a califone compilation.

Unread postby hanwaker » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:09 pm

well actually i wanted to edit my above head entry... but i cannot find the edit button.. it looks like anything from before the change of the board cannot be edited anymore too bad

33 andrew jackson + califone-Of Great and Mortal Men-43 Songs About 43 U.S.Presidencies-- untitled track (2006) *8
34 brent green + califone-- hadacol xmas (from the my space holiday compilation vol 1) ( 2007) 11+ minutes
35 RRM-- milk for the mechanics *7

i omitted the cover song as i should really only put up RRM or califone
and have the covers in a seperate listing

additional info on 15 the sun----- the stereo--- a rutili mix -----downloaded on emusic-- no other info--mp3 *6

These two Sun remixes are polar opposites in both style and length; however, each serves it purpose well.
On "The Stereo," Califone takes a hold of non-album track, and extends the hell out of it. Chris' vocals play hide and seek all song - dropping under a fury of guitars for minutes at a time. The middle five minutes, leave the listener lost, but happy. It exists as a tunnel that connects the opening and closing melodies. On the way into the tunnel, everything is calm and collected - the vocals crisp and quick paced. However, once through the darkness, a unraveled vocal melody soon spirals into background screams.

from the liner notes single on flydaddy FLY 019
recorded by b deck at idful
this split single is the beginning of an open-ended project.RRM and Number One Cup each started with the same recording of a distorted cowbell and built a song from that sonic foundation. others are encouraged to participate....

Califone, Sparhawk, Kozelek Help Do Presidential Songs
As do Wooden Wand, Charalambides' Tom Carter, Rosie Thomas, Denison Witmer

In most journalism circles, one of the biggest stories of the next year will be the 2008 U.S. presidential election, but since Obama, Clinton, and Giuliani have yet to form a shoegaze supergroup, we here at Pitchfork must stick to the Radiohead tour updates, Grizzly Bear collaborations, and indie rock nudity.
Nonetheless, Standard Recording Company has thrown us a bone in the politics department in the form of a three-CD box set tentatively titled Of Great and Mortal Men: 43 Songs About 43 U.S. Presidencies. The set's subject matter is apparent, and its backstory doesn't disappoint.
Christian Kiefer, Matthew Gerken (Nice Monster), and Jefferson Pitcher (ex-Above the Orange Trees) wrote nearly all of Of Great and Mortal Men's songs back in February 2006 as part of February Album Writing Month, a songwriting challenge to write 14 songs in 28 days. They pooled their efforts to pen a song apiece about all of the U.S. presidents (3 x 14 = 42, with the George W. Bush tune arriving later), and they came out of it with a heap of demos.
Then, they fleshed (and are fleshing) the songs out with studio contributions from Califone, Alan Sparhawk (Low), Mark Kozelek (Sun Kil Moon/Red House Painters), Wooden Wand and the Vanishing Voice, Rosie Thomas, Denison Witmer, Marla Hansen (Sufjan Stevens's band), Vince DiFiore (Cake), and Tom Carter (Charalambides), among others.
Kiefer calls the resultant box set "a walk through American history and an inquiry into what makes us Americans as filtered through the lens of our highest public office. There's heartbreak and beauty and criticism and revelation. We're trying to make it work like a big beautiful historical novel."

Of Great and Mortal Men does not yet have a definite release date, but Standard plans to put it out in the summer. The tracklist is here (seriously, it's that simple). Susan Archie is scheduled to design the art for the box itself, and the package will come with 43 cards, each with an image of one of the presidents done by one of 43 different artists.

other news

91.7 FM KVRX presents... Local Live Volume 8 "It Came from the Basement"

This is a used Various Artists CD, 91.7 FM KVRX Local Live Volume 8. Exclusive On Air performances from University of Texas Austin College Radio. Another in their series of promoting great live Indie and local music. Really cool stuff!
Released in 2003, this Rare CD compilation is a must have for your collection. Similar to the wildly popular and collectible KBCO Studio C CDs out of Boulder, CO, but much more Indie and underground, eclectic artists. Limited Edition. No Reserve!

Tracks are as follows:

Scott H. Biram - Truckdriver
Need New Body - Show Me Your Heart
White Ghost Shivers - Up Jumped the Devil
Maneja Beto - Andentro El Que Sea Cobarde
Single Frame - Clipper Ship
This Microwave World - Emergency! Help
Stars as Eyes - I'm So Bored With What the Teacher...
The Aleph - Twilight Speeds
Dead Meadow - I Love You Too
Echo Base Soundsystem - Niko
Madamimadam - Shine Shoes
why? - Early Whitney
Califone - Michigan Girls
M. Ward - Let's Dance
Knife in the Water - Swallows
Summer Hymns - Feeling in Rafters
Sondre Lerche - You Know So Well

--------
rank
"The Making of Rank: Bull Sessions" is a behind the scenes look at this unusual IFC documentary about the hazardous sport of bullriding
.http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?titl ... el=2621235

The Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo mix is simple and of the location audio throughout with little enhancement and some interesting new music by The Unseen Hand. Extras include The Unseen Hand: Recording The Music For Rank and Cowtown: Bull Ridging Sessions featurettes, plus a decent feature length audio commentary by the makers.

The accompanying soundtrack is an interesting one, primarily made of up melodic piano playing and what sounds like a classical orchestra. Without viewing the film, the choice of music seems ill-fitting for the content, but somehow it actually works. While there is a bit of the expected country-ish twangs in the opening scenes, the final tune is more carnival oregon grinder than ten-gallon hat. One of the Special Features titled "The Unseen Hand: Recording the Music for Rank" shows that it is indeed a piano score that you are listening to.

Music by The Unseen Hand: featuring Wil Hendricks ( aka billy prince bonnie), Michael Krassner, and Tim Rutili
As for frontman Tim Rutili, he's been making much ado about soundtracking. A bull-riding documentary called Rank was scored by The Unseen Hand, a project made up of Rutili and Lofty Pillars members who, incidentally, also guest on the upcoming Califone record

further news

i got a live tape of the
fruitbats
and 2 REX shows ( one of the shows is marred by zigbillions clicks....)

more info to follow
(t. r. 3-21-04)
hanwaker

Unread postby acutedeath » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:37 pm

Well done on the list and on the update. I've been on a buying binge of "various artists" projects involving the band, including some things on your (old) wanted list. I never would have heard of some of the stuff without your help. I'm almost to the point of buying a turntable for old-timey RRM goodness.

While I'm at it, I'll mention that although Heron King Blues is among the best albums ever, I still feel annoyed that I missed out on a bonus track, my fault I guess.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that KRVX radio compilation has the same recording of "michigan girls" as "everybody's mother vol. 1".
acutedeath
The Cutter

Unread postby acutedeath » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:35 pm

It seems like I can't edit my last post.
Does anyone know anything about this CD?

The Absolute Middle of Nowhere, Volume 17
http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-Middle-N ... B0015QT2DY

Says it has "Flossie (Red Red Meat)". Does anyone know if this is an early/different version of "Sister Flossy", or even something else? I was unable to dredge up any good info.
acutedeath
The Cutter

Unread postby hanwaker » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:54 pm

acutedeath wrote:
Oh, and I'm pretty sure that KRVX radio compilation has the same recording of "michigan girls" as "everybody's mother vol. 1".

well i see you might be right about this..
the info on everybody's mother
reads10.11.03 kurx radio austin

the station is called kvrx and obviously this is a mispelling on the tracklisting for -EM-

a handwritten v doesn't differ so much from a u

i cannot say anything about the flossy issue.. sorry..
and i agree not being able to edit the posts sucks!
(t. r. 3-21-04)
hanwaker

Next

Return to Worn out frets