Fall 2009 Tour

Setlists, show reviews, live downloads, and old-fashioned bootleg trading.

Fall 2009 Tour

Unread postby gs » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:26 pm

Can't find a complete tour itinerary yet, but I just bought a ticket to Califone: Performing Music From "All My Friends Are Funeral Singers" at the Workplay Theater in Birmingham on October 28. I assume it's a music + film event since that venue has both a stage and a screen. So be on the lookout for shows in your town.
gs
Wingbone

Re: Fall 2009 Tour

Unread postby hanwaker » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:23 pm

okay get your mics ready and tape them as you attend the concerts
we are not used to people likeing what we do
(t. r. 3-21-04)
hanwaker
On the Steeple with the Shakes

Unread postby hugo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:22 pm

or,
attend the concerts, enjoy them, have a wonderful experience and leave with a memory.
just another option for you.
tim
hugo
Heron King

Unread postby hanwaker » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:10 pm

hugo wrote:or,
attend the concerts, enjoy them, have a wonderful experience and leave with a memory.
just another option for you.
tim

yes tim

it is another option... whereas the taped show can travel in all its beauty to the most remote places you as califone will never apppear at.. and thus spread the word about your music
.....remote places in switzerland or germany or france

any chance you will tour europe with the new album under your wings ?

uli
freiburg
germany
(t. r. 3-21-04)
hanwaker

Unread postby hugo » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:52 pm

oy vey..........

we will be coming to europe sometime this year. see you then.
hugo
Heron King

Unread postby braindead » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:01 am

Just got home from the opening night performance of the film...

The film itself is very good...started out slowly and I wasn't quite sure where it was going...and I've listened to ""All My Friends" at least once everyday since Sep. 8. But once it got rolling, things picked up and the ending tied things together very nicely and helped me understand some things about the album itself.

The guys played "Apelike", "Funeral Singers" and "Evidence" in full and snippets of other songs throughout the film. "Evidence" was played over the credits and was a great way to end the show. Very interesting experience overall.

I'm going again tomorrow night and if anyone from the band or the museum happens to read this before then, the one drawback was that I felt that the film audio was too loud...it made it difficult to understand some of the dialogue at times as well as the nuances of the live music itself.

After the film ended, there was a 15 minute or so intermission and then the band came back out and played a few songs off the new album, including "Polish Girls", "Bunuel" and "Better Angels" and a couple of others.

Sunday nights' show is, I believe, sold out, but if you get the chance to go, either here or anywhere on the tour, do so.

Great show gentlemen, thanks...
braindead
Heron King

Unread postby mike » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:40 pm

braindead wrote: the ending tied things together very nicely and helped me understand some things about the album itself.

I wondered if that would be the case. Can you elaborate?

Sadly I don't think I'm going to be able to make any of the shows. Birmingham is only 4 hours away, and Nashville 3 hours, but work will keep me from either. Hopefully there will be some other opportunity to see the film in the future.

Thanks for the notes about the show. It's been a long time since I've seen these guys live so I like to hear about the experience for minute moments of vicarious living.
mike

Unread postby nat » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:06 pm

Mike, you should check out this interview from Chicago Public Radio -- it's the band talking about the film and album, and playing some of the songs:
http://www.wbez.org/Content.aspx?audioID=37303
nat
Heron King

Unread postby braindead » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:33 pm

Yes, that's a good call about listening to the radio show. If I told you specifics it might ruin the movie for you...the way things end is pretty cool and well thought out and if I'd known how things were going to play out it might not have been as gratifying.

But Mike, if you want to ask me specific questions, feel free. Also, one thing I can say without giving away too much is that some of the song titles are instrumental, (no pun intended) in making the film make sense.
braindead
Heron King

Unread postby owl » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:49 am

nat wrote:Mike, you should check out this interview from Chicago Public Radio -- it's the band talking about the film and album, and playing some of the songs:

There's also a part 2, which includes more interview and at least one more song: http://www.chicagopublicradio.org/conte ... ioID=37302
Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage. — Edward Abbey

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Unread postby nat » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:53 pm

owl wrote:
nat wrote:Mike, you should check out this interview from Chicago Public Radio -- it's the band talking about the film and album, and playing some of the songs:

There's also a part 2, which includes more interview and at least one more song: http://www.chicagopublicradio.org/conte ... ioID=37302

The link i posted is to the extended version of the interview -- it's a bit longer than parts 1 & 2 together.
nat
Heron King

Unread postby mike » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:11 am

Cool. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out when I have the time. Thanks also for withholding the explanation so as not to spoil the film experience for me. I'm sure I will eventually have a chance to take it in.
mike

Unread postby owl » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:04 pm

nat wrote:
owl wrote:

The link i posted is to the extended version of the interview -- it's a bit longer than parts 1 & 2 together.

Cool! But man, I don't think they made it confusing enough.
Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage. — Edward Abbey

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Unread postby braindead » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:59 pm

Califone's on WNYC today at 2:30pm Eastern time... listen here: www.wnyc.org.

Picked this up from the Califone FB page. Should be a good listen.
braindead
Heron King

Unread postby ho » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:29 pm

Is this going to be archived? thx.
ho

Unread postby braindead » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:05 pm

Yep...already downloaded it...good listen. Let me know if you can't find it for some reason, but pretty sure it'll be up there for awhile.
braindead
Heron King

Unread postby gs » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:51 pm

Any truth to the sad rumor that the Birmingham show tomorrow night has been cancelled?
gs
Wingbone

Unread postby braindead » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:25 pm

Yes, shows in Birmingham, Atlanta and Nashville were canceled. The Bloomington, Indiana show is still on. No word as to why the cancellations.
braindead
Heron King

Unread postby Jackpot » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:46 pm

I just received an e-mail about the Birmingham cancellation.

It's very disappointing, but I hope everything is okay with the band.
Jackpot
The Cutter

Unread postby braindead » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:46 pm

Drove down from Chicago on a day not fit for man or beast to see my third show of the current tour. I believe that some, if not all of the band, did the same. Without going into details, they've refined the live performance to the film and as much as I liked it before, it was even better three weeks later(First two shows being Chicago). I see different things in the film each time.

After the film was finished the guys came back and played for an hour or possibly even more to a very enthusiastic and appreciative crowd. Thanks again for a fantastic end to a very long day.
braindead
Heron King

Unread postby zoosleuth » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:46 pm

I did the same thing. Worked all day Friday and then drove down to Bloomington for the show through some horrible weather. Forgot that they were/are an hour ahead and was worried I was going to miss the first half of the movie. Luckily it started late. I have to say it was well worth the drive. The guys played a great set after the movie. I felt the MCA show I saw was great (opening night) but this show was better. Great audience and great sound. Was really pleased to see them work Giving Away the Bride into the set.
zoosleuth
Wingbone

Unread postby braindead » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:30 pm

Yep, that was one nasty drive. I saw them both nights at the MCA and the second night they played "Giving Away The Bride". It's good on the album, but really shines live.
Last edited by braindead on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
braindead
Heron King

Unread postby hanwaker » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:10 pm

as all the shows are way too far from germany here is something i look at .... thats how close as i can get to the show...

am hoping for february in europe
(t. r. 3-21-04)
hanwaker

Unread postby hanwaker » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:16 pm

to see more of the other shows i go here

(t. r. 3-21-04)
hanwaker