Roots & Crowns - track review

Unread postby BandyLou » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:29 pm

on cokemachineglow
http://cokemachineglow.com/songs/index.html
scroll down a bit... review of 'three legged animals'
BandyLou
The Cutter

Unread postby owl » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:58 pm

Very cool. I don't think that this CD will disappoint.

Trust me.

:D
Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage. — Edward Abbey

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

more info on new album

Unread postby hanwaker » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:28 am

i had posted this already but i feel it belongs here as well

Califone New LP In October
Jun 16, 2006
Story by: Megan Brown

Experimental blues-rock outfit Califone is set to release its latest album, Roots & Crowns, on Thrill Jockey October 10. The album, primarily recorded at 4Deuces studio in Chicago, was completed a few weeks ago, according to band member Ben Massarella. Califone, founded in Chicago by former members of Red Red Meat, first released a self-titled EP in 1998 on Flydaddy. Roots & Crowns represents a year of work, Massarella said by e-mail, "which was the most comfortable pace we've been able to work for quite a while." Mixed by longtime producer and former Red Red Meat member Brian Deck, the new album features a cover of Psychic TV's "The Orchids." According to the band's press release, listening to the original version on repeat made band member Tim Rutili want to write songs again. Wouldn't listening to anything on loop make you crave new material?

Tracklist For Roots & Crowns:
01. Pink and Sour
02. Spider's House
03. Sunday Noises
04. The Eye You Lost in the Crusades
05. A Chinese Actor
06. Our Kitten Sees Ghosts
07. The Orchids [Psychic TV cover]
08. Burned by the Christians
09. Black Metal Valentine
10. Rose Petal Ear
11. 3 Legged Animals
12. If You Would
hanwaker
On the Steeple with the Shakes

Re: more info on new album

Unread postby señor vaca » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:02 pm

balsam auf der seele
yesterday i was recording the sound of the flying clouds, just as usual.
but what i then got to hear was harming me.
today i don't record the cloud's sounds.
señor vaca
Heron King

Unread postby hanwaker » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:55 am

und noch ein paar tourdates ,dann wäre 2007 schon gerettet
we are not used to people likeing what we do
(t. r. 3-21-04)
hanwaker
On the Steeple with the Shakes

Unread postby Nervous John » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:31 pm

Califone
“The Orchids”
[2006]
4 1/2 stars out of 5

Every once in a while a song catches Califone leader Tim Rutili's ear and he's moved to cover it, no matter how seemingly incongruous the source. Rutili's old act Red Red Meat had two choice bits from Christmas TV specials in its repertoire: "There's Always Tomorrow" from Bunny Gets Paid (originally sung by button-nosed Clarice to red-nosed Rudolph) and "Welcome Christmas" from How the Grinch Stole Christmas as the B-side to the "There's a Star Above the Manger Tonight" single. Then there was the 1995 take on 10cc's "I'm Not in Love", with a dynamic arrangement that exploded in a mess of guitar trying to cover the fact that Rutili couldn't quite hit the delicate vocal.

Here, Califone tackle on Psychic TV's lilting "The Orchids", taking the spacious gamelan percussion and croaking voice of the original and transforming it into a worn and sturdy folk chestnut. Rutili's voice couldn't be more perfect for the clipped melody and skewed turns of phrase that surprise with swipes of warmth ("And in the morning after the night/ I fall in love with the light"), sounding, dare I say, inspirational. There's even some harmonica blowing in there somewhere, amplifying this Genesis P-Orridge confection into a sentimental and moving campfire sing-along for the ages. Fantastic.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/track_reviews/37627/Califone_The_Orchids#37627
I wish I was a mole in the ground.
Nervous John
Cheater

Return to Stitches