a year ago

New LP and tour!!

a year ago

Unread postby BandyLou » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:01 pm

"In the case of Roots & Crowns, we have a resounding ode to hereditary, cultural integration as contained within an exemplary how-to. And all Califone had to do was make the archetypal Califone album."

Chet Betz
October 6, 2006
http://cokemachineglow.com/reviews/cali ... s2006.html

So, listeners... how's it sounding after a year?

Back in the early nineties, when I had disposable income, I bought a lot of CDs, and some turned out to be just that... disposable.

I'm far poorer today, with more mouths to feed, and I make my music purchases very carefully.

Califone was a long-distance infatuation for me at first. I read some reviews, then downloaded some tracks. Eventually I bought some CDs and vinyl.

Each purchased piece has become a valued item in my collection. Each time I listen to a Califone record, I'm glad I bought it. Roots and Crowns is due for a spin now that Autumn is upon us.

Califone records never get old.

Peace,
Bandy Lou
BandyLou
The Cutter

Unread postby Nervous John » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:51 pm

I listened to it a lot in winter '06 and early spring '07.

It sort of got lost in the shuffle this summer in an orgy of new purchases.

But I just listened to it again about a week ago. And listened to it again. And again.

When I was first listening to it, I really fixated on "Spider's House" and the first half of the record.

Now, I'm floored by the last songs ("Black Metal Valentine" through "If You Would.") A really great record that stands up to repeated listening.
I wish I was a mole in the ground.
Nervous John
Cheater

Unread postby owl » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:41 am

It definitely begs repeated listens. In my experience, Califone has always produced CDs that never really get old. This is another one.
Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage. — Edward Abbey

pastrysharp
owl
Snakehandler

Unread postby ho » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:49 pm

I'm kind of stuck on Red Red Meat's cover of I'm Not In Love....
ho
On the Steeple with the Shakes

Return to Stitches